Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Salt Block

Old 05-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Salt Block

about how logn will it take for them to start using one consistently, becuase i have one out at a heavily used intersection but the dirt around it has no tracks in it!!! and its been a few days

G Lew, KOTW
Old 05-25-2005, 10:18 AM

ORIGINAL: glew22

about how logn will it take for them to start using one consistently, becuase i have one out at a heavily used intersection but the dirt around it has no tracks in it!!! and its been a few days

G Lew, KOTW
I dont really know, I've had mine at the same spot for years and havent put one in a different area so...
If I were you, I'd try attracting them to the salt block... put a few apples or something right on top of the block, it cant hurt.

Goodluck
Old 05-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a salt block and a mineral block outside my kitchen window here for the past 5 yrs and I put it it a dried out stump. It takes about a year or two for the deer to get familiar with it but when they do its like clock work. My salt block now after the winter is worn down and the deer is just digging and wallering out a hole licking the salt in the hole, long after the block is gone. I have even seen coyotes and moose at the lick. The mineral block is not worked by the deer at all but worn by erosion or maybe even rodents, and about 5 yrs ago I threw out some corn and the deer didn't even know what it was as I could see deer tracks going through it, but the squirrels and rodents just loved it. When putting out a salt block its always a good ideal to have a tub of water available because after the salt they'll head for the water trough. Bobby