Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Salt Block

Old 05-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Salt Block

Salt WILL kill most any vegatation and sometimes it will take a while for them to find it if you move it. They will still go to the old spot until the salt leaches out of the soil there.

Put it back in the same place. I think if you can watch you'll see the deer actually lick and eat the "salty" dirt more than they will the block. Those red ones also have trace minerals but they are still over 90% salt.

put a piece of flat rock in the middle of the wallow so when it rains the block won't be down in the puddle and if you put another flat rock on top of the salt block it will last a heck of a lot longer.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of the places I hunt had a satl truck spill a load along side the road. The deer have been licking it for years. It's a hole big enough to hide in now.

That bologna is something. Isn't that a meat or is it a cheese like? I didn't think deer were meat eaters.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a GREAT mixture that makes 200 lbs for only $23. It has been passed along from several members of the QDMA.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Printable version
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the advice !!

OU812
Old 05-24-2005, 12:09 PM

ORIGINAL: psychowolverine

Keep it in the same spot oh and Furync they dont last 2 yrs, I bought a 50lb block and it was gone in 6 mths. If you have a good hole and it rains the rain will melt it away pretty fast, but the salt will stay in the ground.

I have the 50lbs kind aswell and they do last me 2 years. I have proof! oh wait it melted...
But seriously, it does last for 2 seasons. I put one out last year at the end of summer and I went to my spot this week-end to see that it's 3/4 the size it was before. It may not last a full 2 year but at least 1 year and 1/2. The point is, you dont have to replace it every week-end
Old 05-24-2005, 12:15 PM

you do what?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:23 PM

ORIGINAL: newman1

you do what?
me?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:36 PM

No i meant zoomer,sorry.Did he say he used bologna for deer?
Old 05-24-2005, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

if you're putting a salt block out should it be off the ground or do they use it just as much if its right on the groud, i read soemwhere that it shoudl be elevated.

G Lew, KOTW
Old 05-24-2005, 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: glew22

if you're putting a salt block out should it be off the ground or do they use it just as much if its right on the groud, i read soemwhere that it shoudl be elevated.

G Lew, KOTW
I honestly dont think it makes a difference other than probably melting faster when it's directly on the ground. I usually try to put them on an old stump.

Quick Reply: Salt Block

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.