Community
White Knuckle Productions The Official White Knuckle Productions Forum.

How would you hunt fields Todd or Walt?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:47 AM

Default RE: How would you hunt fields Todd or Walt?

Here is the field, notice the island of trees in the field, I can all the way around this field as well. BTW it's the big field!!

Old 08-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok not knowing the property but looking at the topo there seems to be a valley off the west side of the filed back in the woods and if I was a big buck I would be entering the field off the left hand side of the point justnorth of the island. Now when the rut starts that pinch point between the two fields looks awesome!!! Where have you seen the big boys entering at??
Old 08-01-2008, 11:16 AM

I watched them enter from the point on the right, the little field on the far right the lower left hand corner and simply from the island of trees.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Set-up or glass from a distance the first night, possibly before season. Move in and set-up for the next night based on where you saw the buck enter the field. I recommend doing a run & gun set based on the exact conditions when you plan on hunting.

Field edge hunting is tough, but we have a new property this year that has a TON of CRP - so I'm going to be forced to do the same thing as yourself. I will wait to hang most of the field edge stuff until the day I plan on hunting - or based on movement that I see.

I'm not a big fan of field edge hunting except for early season. There are exceptions, but with a bow in your hand, it's tough to kill a mature deer on a field edge.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:27 PM

I know Todd it is going to be a challenge for sure. I usually don't hunt fields either, but in this situation during the early season, I might just be able to do it on a big buck.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Va with the early season and the long range scouting I would give you a great chance at putting one on the ground!! Walt
Old 08-05-2008, 11:40 AM

I hope so Walt!! Thanks for the help!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you know of a pinch point in the timber that you believe a certain buck may be using - don't be afraid to move in and set-up. Most of how / why I choose to hunt in the timber has alot to do with access. For example, in Illinois last opening day (the beginning of "The Grind", I chose to set-up just on the inside corner of a section of timber that was SHREDDED with buck sign. If I see a section of Timber that contains a ton of sign, that tells me that a buck is living very close, and likely moves through this area everyday. Also, look what I decided to do (where I killed my buck) in "Beyond the Kill". If I would have stayed out on the field edge, I would have never seen any of those deer or bucks. Falling acorns and buck sign the first week of October will get as close to a "map" of a whitetails habbits as you will ever get! Don't be afraid to take advantage of it!
Old 08-05-2008, 01:40 PM

That's what I plan to do. I have always hunted acorns bar none hands down every year. Even if there are fields with beans in them, I stick with the dropped acorns. The deal is with this field, there are very few oak trees that are around, it seems it's all pine that has recently been select cut. I know there are some acorns about but I don't know how far in they are. I will get some leg work in soon, but if I go in and see sign within 50 yds of the field, should I set up there?? I mean rubs and droppings and maybe even an acorn drop...trail that is being used etc...
Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

Moving alittle ways back in the timber may also halp you exit your stand locations as being right on the edge will or could cause problems getting down and out when there are deer feeding in the field. This is one reason I hate to hunt foodplots as you can really put alot of pressure on deer getting out. They figure it out real quick what is going on. I would rather hunt an access trail heading to the food source50 yardsor more back in the timber. Just something to consider. Hunting the field edge might only allow you one or two hunts before the bucks put 2 and 2 together.

Jay

Quick Reply: How would you hunt fields Todd or Walt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.