Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Travel by air

Old 06-16-2004, 11:48 AM

Default Travel by air

I am flying to Colorado this year for a Deer/Elk hunt. This will be my first time flying and taking my rifle on the flight. Looking for any advise in this area. What to expect, are there more restrictions, ammo restrictions and so on. Anyone with experience with flying to get to their hunting location could be a great help in me preparing for my upcoming trip.

R1
Old 06-16-2004, 01:40 PM

Default RE: Travel by air

Rule #1 "Unload gun" .......just kiddingTo avoid gun laws on a plane,I would send gun w/ hard case UPS or Postal to the point of contact,sending ammo maybe a haz-fee on planes or ground shipment since its a explosive powder... good luck
Old 06-16-2004, 05:37 PM

I've traveled alot with both hand guns and rifles as checked bags, and since 9/11. They have to be in a hard case that can be locked. I use a marker to put my name and info on the outside of the hard case or use a zip tie to keep the name tag with the case. When you check in, the airline agent will give you a red card to sign and place in the case with the firearm. the card says the gun belongs to you and it is unloaded. Some have asked to see the firearm, some not. The gun case will get checked as baggage. The TSA guy will check it and put one of their zip ties on the case to show they have checked it. Your bullets should go in a different checked bag. I've packed them in the rifle case before, no problem.

You can call the airline or TSA to see if there have been any changes, but you should not have a problem.

Go to the airport early, you can expect all your bags to set off the chemical swab test, due to the powder residue and chemicals that you transfer to them when you handle your gun and the bags at the same time. You should not have a problem if all your ducks are in a row and you don't scare anyone.

I believe you will need to go through FFL dealers on both ends if you opt to ship the rifle via ups. the receiving end of the shipment will probably have to do the background check paperwork. I had to do this when a friend sent me a gun.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:58 PM

In my opinion 9/11 has not changed how airlines handle guns. Case in point: at your arrival point (in this case lets say Denver) your guns will either come in with the rest of the normal lugage down the ramp or they get off loaded in the oversize area with skis and golf clubs. Either way the gun may be waiting for you before you get to bagage claim. No one has to sign for it, you don't show your ID or anything. Hopefully your favorite guns are they waiting for you and not in the hands of some a-hole theif.

The other problem I have heard about is some baggage handlers inside the airport (in the secure area between the plane and baggage claim) steal guns. They see a nice long alluminum case (that can really only hold one thing, your gun) come down the belt and oops lost bag. Later when know one is looking they can pry it open with a screw driver and smuggle the gun out. I doubt they check these guys on the way out. The lock are ofetn strong on gun cases but ofetn the hinges are easily broken open.

I spoke with my local gun shop and they said they have had many customers come in with lost (stolen) or dammaged guns. Now I am sure thousands if not tens of thousands of guns are handled by the airlines each year and the chances of theft are probably slim but I would not chance losing my favorite guns and ruining my trip.

The two sugestions my guns shop made were:

1) buy a good gun case. put the gun case in a non-descript cardboard box and have your local gun shop handle the FFL tranfer to a gun shop at your destination using an insured carier (UPS or Fed-X). For the extra 50 bucks it is worth it.

2) If you insist on flying with the gun buy one of the new gun cases made by Cabellas or Orvis. these are a normal airline approved locking gun case hidden in the bottom of a long non-discript duffle bag. Your gun goes in the bottom and your hunting gear can go in the top.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:27 AM

what Scott reports about seeing gun cases laying unclaimed at the baggage claim is true and alarming. This is the case in Denver, as your baggage may hit the baggage claim before you, but most times not. I live in Colorado Springs and do most of my travel out of there. I always have to wait quite a while, 15 -20 minutes, for the bags in Colorado Springs, and the walk from the plane to the baggage claim area is less than 5 minutes. In Denver it is about 20-30 minutes to the baggage claim area and still have to wait 15-20 minutes for bags. If you go into Denver, hussle to the baggage claim area and ask the folks working there where your case is coming up at, most likely the ski turnstill or give one of them $20 to go down and bring it up. If you fly into COS it will be placed on the ski and golf rack next to the baggage area. If your real worried about it, fly in and out of COS, smaller airport and less things to go wrong. Like I said, I've never had a problem and I've done it a lot.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't had any difficulty traveling with either my rifle or shotgun. Fellow flyers at SEATAC can get whizzed out kinda easliy when waiting in line and they see my gun case. When I've checked in the airlines have been verra helpful. I wait to lock my case until it has gone thru the inspections. ( Much easier than taking it in locked, unlocking and relocking it). I don't fly with amo anymore since I had to send it back with my ride once. Just easier to pick up when I get there.
Have a great trip and best of luck.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:03 AM

Here's a couple suggestions I offer to guys flying with firearms for the first time. It's really no big deal as long as you use common sense. I'd recommend a Starlight case. IMHO, these are the best cases you can use when travelling. (check ebay). Pick up a couple TSA approved locks for your case. TSA can open the locks and they'll relock the case when done inspecting. Next, if you shoot reloads and have a custom load for your rifle, pack them in a 'factory' box. Full. I've seen where airlines refused to take plastic boxes, they wanted only factory boxes and they had to be a full box. I've seen guys put different caliber shells in boxes, and that went through fine. When in doubt, call the airline you're flying, and get the name of the person you're speaking to. Good luck and don't worry.