Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Seattle area hunters help!

Old 04-25-2004, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Seattle area hunters help!

Went out today and hiked from dawn until around 3pm. Never heard or saw a turkey (except the one hen I saw on the drive in and then again on the drive out). Managed to sneak up within 30 yards of a doe before she fed around behind me and caught my scent.

I don't know, the birds in the area I'm hunting were pretty talkative last weekend but there was a lot of pressure. Hardly any pressure today and I never heard a gobble all day (and the area I hunt you can see and hear for miles). I had my radio on scan mode and heard a couple guys in the area chasing around some birds but the one guy was directing his buddy to them and the buddy never saw them. Got them to cluck a time or two he said and then they shut up. I think there must still be enough willing hens so that the Tom's aren't quite desperate yet. My season is almost over though as I work all week and had company this weekend and next and then gone for vacation so it's not looking good for me this year. I need to find some new spots as all my areas from last year have been hunted pretty hard this year.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:40 AM

I think right now they're in a lull, some things I've read on gobbling peaks say that they peak around the 15th of april and go into a lull until the 1st or 2nd week in May. So hopefully we'll see those hens[:@] take off soon...

Sorry to hear your getting a ton of pressure, with the word getting out a lot more of the Coasties (myself included) find out about birds within a 2 hour drive they'll be more and more. The positive I see is that the terrain around your area and where I hunt is so similar to the N.E. that I can't see any reason why these birds don't explode population wise like they did over in Colville...Let's Hope
Old 04-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand that too. I would rather come and hunt this area than drive another 2 hours to hunt the N.E. corner where most of the land is private. At least there is a ton of public ground around here. I did manage to get out Monday night after work and found a pair of 2-pt Elk sheds, saw 2 bull elk with 3+ points starting to grow, and a gobbler. Unfortunately the gobbler wasn't very hot and quit gobbling after a while and never came in but I had him all to myself in a new area and it was so nice to be alone in an area with turkeys. I'll probably go back up there again soon, home sick today so just watching turkey hunting videos and dreaming of hunting. I did have a dream last night, strange enough, that I got my turkey. Hopefully that will turn into a preminition for the season!
Old 04-28-2004, 05:02 PM

That's a bummer on the sick part, especially during any hunting season, and with the nice weather to boot[:'(]

Well, yoou'll be abck out soon, and heck your not doing bad, on shed hunting anyway, I can't even find a single deer antler yet