Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Hunters, what is the longest shot you have ever taken?

Old 08-31-2003, 12:36 PM

Default Hunters, what is the longest shot you have ever taken?

Hunters, what is the longest shot you have taken with your bow or rifle? I have talked to several hunters and I have heard of some long distant shots of over 500 yards, what is your thought on this? What is a good distance and what is too far?

Dr. Mike
Old 08-31-2003, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunters, what is the longest shot you have ever taken?

The longest shot I have ever taken at game was 325 yds. I aimed to high and the bullet went right over his chest. I connected at about 250 yds (for some reason, the deer kept coming closer). I would not want to take a shot longer than that in any case with my .30-06 or any other caliber for that matter. It doesn' t seem like that far, but it is. When I took this shot, I had plenty of time to calm down and relax as he walked towards me at an angle, and I still shot high, although I did have the vertical crosshair just right. Had I been REALLY pumped on adreanaline, no way. I still think that 325 is a long shot, I would like to keep them to under 250 from now on. That' s why I am going to give muzzleloader hunting a serious go here in the next couple of seasons, to really up the anty in favor of the game.

I don' t care for taking long shots beyond 500 yds. To me it seems at that distance, even with the new ultra mags, that a slight misjudgement could cause a miss, or worse yet, wounding an animal. And at that distance, the power is down to standard caliber ballistics, so why not use a standard caliber, and stalk closer, thats why they call it hunting, right.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:40 AM

Here in Idaho most of my Hunting over the past 30 years has been with a Bow. My farthest shot was 65 yards ( not recommended ) I did make a good clean kill but think it was luck and lots of practice. Most all my other shots with Bow have been within 30 yards. I hunt in the woods and lots of brush so anything over 100 yards ahead is real hard to see or get a good shot even with a Rifle.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of all the deer and elk I' ve shot the longest was probably 125 yards. I hunt a lot of sagebrush and open country too. Not that I won' t shoot farther, just never needed to. I usually ambush my prey and set up so I don' t have to shoot very far. Almost shot an elk last year at around 300 yards but it was still getting light and I couldn' t positively ID it was a spike (only legal elk here).
Old 09-12-2003, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I made a good but lucky shot with an .22 on a jackrabbit; think it was little over 300 yards. I cant remember because this was about 7 years ago. The longest shot i ever did with an high power gun was about 275yards. My dad' s longest shot was about over 600yards but that was a long long time ago. He is an ex sharpshooter/Instructor in LAPD SWAT back in the 70s before i was born.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:06 AM

I usually hunt northern California, and all of my shots have been close range. Really no need for a long range rifle. I' ve used my ole 30-30 for years and on average my shots have been around 50 yards. My longest shot may have been 75 yards. I recently bought a 30-06, but I think I' m going back to my ole trusty 30-30, something about lever action, I just love.

Ranier
Old 09-25-2003, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

my longest shot was just over 300 yrds. and it made the spike pull his head in ,most of my hunting now is in the bush, about 80 to 100 yrds i' ll leave the long shots to the experts