Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Question for Colorado natives?

Old 08-04-2003, 07:17 AM

Default Question for Colorado natives?

Am coming to Colorado this fall for muzzleloading elk hunt in White River National Forest, north of Dotsero. Have been trying to monitor on NOAA, and Weather Channel web sites but not much success. Hoping its not overly dry. I was wondering if anybody knew how the rains have been in this area? Thanks in advance for your reply.
David/Mo
Old 08-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question for Colorado natives?

I don' t live in that area of the state but do keep a close watch on the water situation.The good news is ......is that most of the state has recieved good moister levels this year.the bad news is .....is that the western 3rd of the state has been very hot and very dry and the southwest areas are still extremely dry. However there is still decent snow run off that will keep seasonal creeks flowing.So where would you hang out if you were an Elk?I will be hunting north of Grand Junction and have the same concerns.

My 2 pesos!
Old 08-07-2003, 10:15 PM

Try contacting CO D.O.W. either at the main office in Denver (303-297-1192) or the office in Grand Junction (970-255-6100). Their website is also quite helpful. We have had more rain this year then last, but it can still be dry where you want to hunt. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:22 AM

Ok, thanks, I have found on the weather channel in maps some precipation maps- 24 hour, weekly, and monthly. Sounds like its a lot better than last year. Last year we were planning a hunt to Trappers Lake until the area burned, then had to make a quick change.
Again Thanks
David/MO
Old 08-08-2003, 02:10 PM

DM: I live on the Western Slope and can tell you that it is MUCH wetter this summer, although hot. We went through a very dry period of almost 6 weeks prior to the 4th of July, but regular, heavy afternoon thunderstorms have brought most of the high country into a very lush state. I wouldn' t be concerned at all.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:07 PM

Thats great news Beans Morocco. I' d much rather it be wet than dry.
Thanks
David/Mo