Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Question about pig hunting with dogs

Old 01-22-2002, 10:40 PM

Default Question about pig hunting with dogs

i have hunted pig before, but in a couple of weeks i will be hunting with this rancher for the first time and he will be useing dogs. this is a first i have always hunted pig by spot and stalk. so any advice would be great from anyone that has did this before or heard stories on how they do this would be great.

Should i carry a day pack?
What should i carry in my day pack?( when i go dear and pig hunting i carry a day pack that will last through ther morning if i get to far from truck and i have to stay the night it is very light to carry )
Will i be doing allot of running fallowing these dogs?
When i would go hunting by myself i had distance between me and the hog, how much distance am i going to have on this kind of hunt?
How much water should i carry?

So anyone that can give some advice would be great thank you. sorry i cant spell
Old 01-27-2002, 01:25 PM

Default RE: Question about pig hunting with dogs

You should always carry a daypack with whatever you need in it. Bring food, water, and whatever else you need. When your running, it is a good idea to tighten up your straps so that the pack isn't bouncing as much. As for water, a large bottle is good if "you" drink alot of water. If your not the type of person who drinks alot, then a smaller bottle will do. If it's hot out, bring the larger bottle. If it's wet out, you tend to want to drink less water. Maybe brink some extra socks.

As for how close you have to be, You didn't say whether you are going with guns or just with knife.
If you plan to use dog and knife you are going to have to grab the pig and knife-it.

If you plan to use guns, then the distance varies. It can be close if pigs are running right by you and long if you see one far away. If the dog is baying the pig, then your gonna want to get as close as you can before shooting the pig.

Nic