Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Going to Colorado to hunt

Old 09-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Going to Colorado to hunt

We'll be going to Co on the 16 th of this month for an archery elk hunt. Can hardly wait. This will be my first archery elk hunt and hopefully not my last.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 09-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Going to Colorado to hunt

Spud, You'll have 1 major problem on your first ever Elk hunt. You'll get so addicted to it you'll want to go back every yr. !!. I went on my first ever Elk hunt, archery, Colorado. About the same time yr. your going in 06'. I wasn't even successful, but it was the hunt of my life. I can't wait to get back. I saved up the cash through 07', and heading back on the 9th. I'm doing a fully guided hunt with same outfitter I was with in 06'. How are you going? Maybe I can give ya some advice or tips on being prepared. Its seems alot easier this time getting ready knowing what I need & don't need.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I went on a DIY rifle hunt with 2 buds in 2006 all the way from Vt. We all scored, went back last year and 2 out of 3 got nice bulls. Going back with 3 buds this year to the same area with high hopes. I am hooked on western elk hunting and plan to go every year.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

Buckalley. I am going to unit 18 just west of Grand Co. This si public property.A friend of mine who lives in Co Springs has the wall tents and gearall set up at camp and we are going out to use the camp. It should be a neat trip. I went out in '05 on a DIY elk gun hunt and had a blast. No elk but it was the best trip I have ever made. It was my first hunting trip to Co. I have been going to Wyoming since 1982 on a semi regularly basis and doing real well with Antelope and Mule deer. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Spudrow from MO
Old 09-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats cool you have a buddy out there with all the gear. Alot less worry, and certainly less expense. Wish I had that option!! If your hunting the higher elevations sure as you know drink plenty of water. I bring a couple cases of bottled water with me. I have a hard time trusting natural springs or streams. Must be a NY thing!! Plus saves filtering it. For mountain sickness, and if your high up you will experience it to some degree. At minimum you'll have daily headaches. So I suggest Alieve, and rolaids for the stomach. The outfitter gave us Alieve, as nothing I had motrin, advil, tylenol would touch it. The rolaids help the upset stomach from the change. Also don't pig out, eat small portions in case you experience some diarreha while there. Last but not least just in case you haven't been alreadly. Exercise, and start today. I'm sure your well aware of that too. Its important if you'll be doing alot of walking.
I'm hunting units 25 & 26. White River National Forest, Flat tops region.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Great advice with the altitude sickness issue. We always go a few days in advance of the season for a bit of scouting and getting used to the elevation. The headaches usually go away after a few days and do drink plenty of water. Also a good set of sun glasses are nice to have because the sun can be really bright on top of some of those peaks.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

I have been walking on the treadmill for 2 months, dropped 20 pounds, and have gotton in shape. Never had the altitude sickness before. I hunted The Flat Top Wilderness a few years ago with no problems, soooooo. Thanks for all the advice.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 09-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

You are lucky. I seem to get it every time I go out there. I live at 118 feet above sea level and hunt around 10500 feet. Pretty hard for my body to take that kind of increase especially at age 60
Old 09-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

I'll be 60 next Jan. I am a retired union carpenter so I'm used the hard work. No offense toany otherworkers, I just mean I would get a good work out in a days work most of the time.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 09-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I hear ya Spud and compliment you on achieving the best time of life. I hunt with 40 year olds and so far am able to keep up. We pack outall our elk so elk hunting for us means lots of work. The altitude really makes it harder but that is half the fun.

Quick Reply: Going to Colorado to hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.