Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Big Game in Nevada

Old 11-05-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Big Game in Nevada

Im new around here but have been looking for a hunting forum to hang out on. I am in Las Vegas and have never hunted in Nevada. I hunted just last week in Az. and shot a 90" Coose whitetail.
I am looking for good places to hunt in Nevada. Not limited to deer but all big game.
Where does everyone hunt in Nevada?
Sections? areas? I would like to start scouting a bit for next year right after the first part of the year so I know where to put in at.

any help owuld be appreciated.

If anyone is looking to go scouting pm me. I have an 05 Jeep that is perfect fro scouting.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Game in Nevada

Welcome to Nevada!!

I live about 340 miles north of you in Eureka. There is a lot of game that can be hunted here. Around your area, you have bighorn sheep, some deer, and a few elk around Mt. Charleston. As for actually getting a tag for sheep or elk, good luck!! Deer should be pretty easy to get at least a tag every couple years around Vegas. Better hunting can be found farther north, but can be harder to draw. Best places in the state for deerare probably south of Austin, around and North of Elko, and around Ely. For elk, look into Elko and White Pine Counties for the highest numbers. Unit 231 in Lincoln County is also good for elk, has a lot of tags, and is pretty easy to draw, for cows anyway, and is closer to you. But that can be a pretty difficult hunt from what I hear. That area has pretty good deer also. You can go to www.ndow.org for a lot more information than I could give you here. Good luck, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!!
Old 11-26-2005, 09:54 PM

I live up north of elko. Like charlie brown said it is reall hard to draw a tag unless you are a junoir hunter. I havn't got a tag for the last two seasons I tried but at times you can find nice looking deer. Season before last my dad and sister saw a group with about three 5 point with nice spreads and about two fairly nice three points but my sister missed and I was at college and this season my sister shot a good sized three point.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

No kidding about good bucks!! A couple weeks ago, I saw a nice 26" 5x5, along with a 20" 3x4 and a 22" 4x4!! All within about 20 minutes of each other!!
Old 11-27-2005, 09:01 PM

All the years I could hunt before college we never saw any good sized deer in our areas and then my first season in college my dad and sisters saw nice deer and then this season again. What area you see those deer?
Old 11-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those were in 065. The biggest deer I have ever seen was during a 10 late hunt in 2000. I saw 4 or 5 4x4's in one draw, plus onebig deer that had at least 5 on one side, and we couldn't count thatyear. I ended up shootinga mature 2x2 that year, as wekept getting busted by the deer in that larger group. Isaw one deer in 075 in 2003 in the middle of June that was already out to his ears and forking the second time. I drew 081 in 2002, in hopes of getting a good 4 point, as the area was good in the past, but it took a big dive after the fires of 1999. The biggest deer my dad and I saw was a 3 point. I have also seen other large deer in 065, including a group of 5 good bucks at once, just this year while the season was in!!