Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Trespass Fee's

Old 09-24-2002, 06:31 PM

Default Trespass Fee's

I hear this year a farmer or two maybe asking for a few coins to hunt there land. This started a coupla years ago in Washington, but it seems to be building steam and popularity with the landowners. Lincoln and Douglas counties seem to be the hub of this, what other areas in the state are getting to be this way?
Old 09-25-2002, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trespass Fee's

Wash, Wayne would know more about this than me, but I'll bet Stevens Co is headed this way. I for one am not opposed to paying a trespass fee for the privelege of hunting private property. What I would be careful of is somebody that just keeps his hand out instead of limiting the number of hunters he grants access. That could get dangerous. I don't know why more people don't go in together and lease hunting land. I know of a couple of groups that do it, but I haven't heard good reports from past members. I think they are too large and have limited property. It would seem that some farmers would like to do it to offset property taxes and such, but I wouldn't do it if I raised animals. Shot livestock gets expensive.

Hunt hard, live right, and tell your kids you love 'em!
Old 09-25-2002, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

Over here in Yakima, out by hanford, the farmers want to complain about crop damage then they want to charge you 1000 bucks to shoot a bull. I wouldnt mine paying an access fee but not a 1000 bucks and like slee said, only if they let a few people on at a time, not who ever shows up gets on.

http://members.aol.com/kleuenberg/hunting.html
Old 09-26-2002, 12:55 AM
Typical Buck

Here's my opinion, like anybody gives a crap. If the state reimburses you for damage by elk or deer, you should HAVE to let a certain number of hunters have access. If you refuse, you will not get paid next time. That should go for grazing leases too. I also think if you file a damage report, you should have to let a hunter on your property. It's just like the turkeys in Stevens Co. They were cool to have around until they started eating and crapping on everything. Now they are a nuisance animal that people want the state to handle. You can't have it both ways. Either you want the animal off your property, or you need to quit complaining about them. And I could buy a lot of beef for $1000.

Hunt hard, live right, and tell your kids you love 'em!
Old 09-26-2002, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

I think it is that way, Ive talk to a couple people now and I think if you have a animal problem and dont let people come in and hunt the animals you dont get damamge money. Ill have to look into that. Maybe somebody knows if this is true. If I had the 1000 bucks to throw around id be hunting them to but like you said, i can buy alot of stuff with 1000 bucks.

Old 09-26-2002, 06:52 PM

Kirkl, you have something like this going on in your back yard I think???You live in the Nile area don't you?? Well I got some paperwork from the state about the late bow hunt for elk in that area, and their paper says the entire hunt is on private land, and that you had better start looking now if you plan to hunt this winter. Sounds very much like what you are talking about, locals complain about fence and crop damage, and then won't let hunters in to help. I'm with Slee on this, if the complaining landownwer won't work with the state, then why should the state work with the landowner.
The state also has a program, you probably have seen. The silly little yellow signs that say " Hunting with written permission only". The state works with the farmers to open up their land to some controlled hunting. In return the state claims they will plant habitat or try to improve habitat, and the state will also provide patroling during the hunting season for tresspassers. This all sounds like a good deal, until the reality sets in, some farmers have turned this into there personal hunting clubs, allowing only family on to hunt. Which would be just fine, as long as the state did not supplement there operation by improving habitat, and patroling. I noticed on another forum that the state wants to raise fee's for hunting, I'm not against paying my way, but I would think the money spent working on a program thats running amuck could be better spent elsewhere. JMTCW
Old 09-29-2002, 12:26 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-30-2002, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Wash, no I dont live in the Nile, i live in selah, which is only about 15-20 miles theres private land up there but a lot of public land to. Thats where we shot our branched bulls 2 years ago.

Mark, I hear ya. Its a joke out there what there charging. I wish i could find somebody that would say hey i have elk on my place come on out and hunt them, think ill put flyers in peoples mailboxes next year from Yakima to Hanford and ask for permission to hunt. Hows the deer hunting in the rattle snake hills south of the yakima river. My cousin met a guy who said his dad and grandma own gobs of land and said we could deer hunt it. If you ever find any elk hunting land out there, let me know, ill gladly hunt it with you and i have a quad we could use to get it out if the land owner would let us.