Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colorado Mulies and Elk!!!

Old 09-18-2002, 02:43 PM

Default Colorado Mulies and Elk!!!

I am coming to CO. For the first combined rifle season. We are hunting private land just south of Silt in unit 42. What size bucks and bulls can we expect to see or kill?? Elevation is 6500 to 8600 feet with some open meadows. Landowner says there is a herd of elk on the property now. Will they still be there come oct 19th?? All replies will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Colorado Mulies and Elk!!!

hunting on private land usually is a good thing in several respects, such as usually fewer hunters to hunt same area which means less pressure on the animals, good access usually so as not having to pack an animal out of the back country, stay in cozy house with all the enimities of home, if that's what ya like. I really don't know what to tell ya on the size of the animals to expect, the landowner would be the first person I would ask that question to, and as far as the animals still being there when you get there, well, again, ask the landowner how many muzzle loader hunters and bow hunters will be there before you. Does he have a food source that they prefer, such as alafalfa, or a good water source on the property that they come too regularly? Is he surrounded by BLM or National forest land that is hunted frequently, if so, the animals may retreat to his property. But, all in all, I would be asking these and a few more questions to the land owner. How many acrea does he have, are you paying to hunt on it and how many other hunters will be "sharing:" that land with you? I would say, hunting private property, you should have high expectations, but there are peices of private property that have fewer hunters 'cause it also has less game than surrounding public land. Hope all goes well, The high country is getting snow! Yipppeee
Old 09-23-2002, 06:41 PM

silt? isnt that near rifle, colorado ? if so the hunting should be good but i hunted in northern colorado near Meeker and Craig and let me tell you something the deer are nice but the elk are amazing ! the elk are everywhere up there!
Old 09-26-2002, 05:00 PM

Yes, silt is just a few miles from rifle. The ranch that we will be hunting is about 10 miles south of Silt off of I-70. It is bordered by National Forest Land and BLM land on the back side. The landowner tells me that the 3000 acres of BLM land on the back side is almost impossible for public hunters to get to, so we will actually have it to ourselves also. What do you think??? Thank's for the reply!!!
Old 09-26-2002, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

It should be good Chance, Again, isn't the landowner giving ya some ideas of what to expect, are there hunters in there before you, etc. With what you have said, you should expect a good successful trip.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uuuhhh, one other thing, doesn't first combined rifle season start on the 12th of Oct.?
Old 09-27-2002, 07:24 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-27-2002, 05:27 PM

Just got off the phone with the landowner!! He says that we will see plenty of game, and that in the last week he has seen trophy size bulls and bucks on the ranch. He also said that the public land hunters will push even more animals onto the ranch. He said we just have to sit tight and wait for the one we want to take. Thank's for the replies!