Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Hevi-Shot by Remington

Old 10-18-2004, 10:29 PM

Default Hevi-Shot by Remington

What do some of you guys who have used this load think about it? Is it a good load for Mallards? If so what shot size would you recommend. Just fill me in about this load. Are there some loads out there that you like better that the Hevi-Shot.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hevi-Shot by Remington

I use Hevi shot and Kent impact matrix for geese but because we shoot more for ducks I use steel. Hevi Shot #4s and Impact #3s would work very well for ducks if you want to spend the money. I use Federal Speed Shock 3.5" #3s at 1550 fps for ducks.

The only place I know of to get Kent shells is at Cabelas.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:24 PM

LBRB45 i have used steel loads in the past and have had alot of cripples and end up shooting them 3 or 4 more times when they hit the water. and last year i spent the money and bought a box of HEVI-Shot #4 took them out and they shoot just like lead they cut balls of feathers out of mallards at 25 yards and i have had 1 cripple since i started shoooting it. and i have found i spend as much money shooting it as i do shooting steel and i will never switch back to steel again.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:55 AM

Just a question, ncduckhunter, what size steel shot were you using for ducks? Reason being is that I have dropped from #2s to #4s for ducks with steel and have seen kill ratio dramatically increase. I will never argue that Hevi-Shot does not have more energy and greater range, but less than 35 yards I believe pattern density is the key.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

If you're shooting at mostly decoying birds, I don't belive there is much of a difference between steel and Hevi Shot. If you are throwing out longer shots at passing birds,it's a different story. That's were Hevi Shot pays for itself in fewer cripples. It's not magic- you still need to be a good shot, but if you do hit them you will get better penetration.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:33 PM

There is something to shooting less shots because you have to waste less shells on crippled birds, but for me that logic doesnt work, mainly because im not a very good shot and unless Hevi-shot makes you hit more ducks then it doenst work for me. HAHAHAHA.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:31 PM

WHISKEYSNOOT i use anywhere from #2steel to #4 depending on the location and what type of bird im hunting you just cant kill ducks to good with steel i remember last year we shot a hooded merganser once in the air and 7 times on the water and it still got away Since i started with Hevi-Shot i havent lost a bird.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think that for duck within reasonable range that the faster loads of steel (1500 fps +) works just fine. I have tried hevi shot and it works well but is expensive for what edge it gives on ducks. For geese i feel it does hit them harder and kills better. My 2 cents.