Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Best Duck Calls...

Old 02-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best Duck Calls...

I am new to duck hunting and I plan on aquiring everything needed before Sept. hits... I was wondering what Ducks Calls I would need and which ones are the best... I am not too concerned with prices, I just want good tools can't stand junk... Also is there alot of different calls for different ducks...?? I am in the process of finding out what kinds of ducks I will be hunting in my area, so I guess that would determine what kinda calls I need... I'll be hunting MD's Eastern shore if anyone knows the kinds of ducks out there...

Thanks a Bunch...
Old 02-29-2004, 04:13 PM

Default RE: Best Duck Calls...

As far as calls are concern, you are best served in my opinion with two basic calls. The standard single read mallard hen and a whistle call. Mallards are some of the most gregarious of ducks and most ducks will respond to a mallard call. The whistle will help call pintails, teal, widgeon etc ... There are many good calls on the market but it appears that an acrylic call from one of the bigger names is what you are looking for. As you are from the Eastern Shore, Sean Mann's products come to mind of course. His are well regarded throughout the industry and of the highest quality. While he is not by reputation a duck caller, he has the where-with-all to make sure his are quality products. My own calls are made in my region by Heartland Cusom Calls and I am a believer in using calls produced by a maker in my own area. I may be wrong but I believe they are more likely to mimic the local ducking sound than calls from a thousand miles away. Having said that, an outfit like Rich-N-Tone has so diverse a selection that anyone from anywhere can find a call to suite them.

If possible, find a retailer who will let you try several calls. Some calls blow easier than others for each individual.