Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Waterfowling in Kansas?

Old 11-06-2003, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Waterfowling in Kansas?

Do any of you guys waterfowl hunt in Kansas? If so, how is it? I am thinking of heading up there this year and trying to get a few greenheads. In what area do you hunt? I am just trying to get some advice if any of you southerners have been up that way any time soon.

G-Dawg posted this in the South room, figured I' d copy and paste it in here instead of moving his post entirely...

Thanks for replies...
Old 11-06-2003, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Waterfowling in Kansas?

if you' re coming from arkansas, i' d try neosho wildlife area or marais de cygne. i hunt neosho 2-3 times a week and it' s pretty good but crowded.

forget about elk city.

if western kansas gets some rain, try cheyenne bottoms.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Psandhu,
Thanks for the info, I will actually be hunting at my uncle' s place in Chanute, KS. He owns some river bottom land on about 3/4 to a mile that borders the neosho river. Is this a good river to hunt? I have always turkey hunted up there, but never really payed attention to the ducks, because i have only just gotten in to hunting waterfowl last year. Thanks again for the info.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

By the way,
I noticed you were from Coffeyville, so is that construction on the railroad tracks on hwy 169 finished yet? [:-] Last spring coming up for spring turkeys, we had to take the detour, which wasn' t bad, but man, from years past i remember those RR tracks were awful!
Old 11-07-2003, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

if you' re staying in chanute, neosho wildlife area is only 25 minutes away. that would be great during the week. you can walk in to pool 2 and 4, pool 1 is pretty much for boats. there is a big aerial photograph at the checkstation, but the station isn' t open during the week.

i' ve never hunted the river there, but there might be some spillover of the birds coming from the neosho wildlife area.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/cgi-bin/...l.cgi?region=5

the construction is done on the rr tracks. but now the highway is closed or under construction from thayer all the way up to chanute. it' s a clusterfock, avoid 169 if you can. take 59 through erie if you can.

Old 11-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

[X(] thanks for the heads up on construction and the info on the ducks. Much appreciated!