Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Ten gauges in your opinion

Old 01-23-2008, 08:31 AM

Default Ten gauges in your opinion

I need help. I want to purchase a ten gauge. What is best in price and quality or is it even worth it to replace the 12
Old 01-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ten gauges in your opinion

A 10 guage can't do a whole lot more than a 12 guage, in my opinion. If you are really hurtin for more shot in each load, just use 3.5" shells. If you arewanting more long range performance, I would look into a tighter choke and better-performing long range shells such asBlack Cloud and maybe aPatternmaster chole tube. But really there is no more practical and versatile shotgun than the 12 guage. Also, you will also find that ammo for the 10 is more expensive and not as available as for a 12. I'm sure there will be different opinions, so good luck in whatever you choose.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:04 AM

I have a Remington SP-10 Magnum and except for a few minor problems, like the front bead coming off, I really love it. The gun, with a wood stock,has a real solid feel to it and is actually a pleasure to shoot, evenwith 3.5 inch magnums. It has much less felt recoil than a 12 guagewith waterfowl loads. Thisis due to both the design of the gas system and the weight of the gun, 11 pounds. SAAMI regulations restrict commercially sold 10 guage ammunition to the same pressures as 3.5 inch shells in a 12 guage so the 10 guageloads are ballistically similar to those in a magnum 12 guage. However, the 10 guage will pattern better and do it with less feltrecoil. In addition to waterfowl, it is a superior weapon for turkey hunting.

The SP-10 Magnum is not cheap, a new one will cost $1200 to $1300 but is gun thatcan takevery difficult conditions inthefield and cycle flawlessly every time. The weight of the gun is a problem for some people but I have gotten used to it and actually feel that even if I don't get any ducks or geese, at least I got a good workoutcarrying it around. One problem with the 10 guage is that ammunition is not as widely available as 12 guage ammunition and is more expensive. Toreach the maximum potential of the SP-10 you would probably want to hand load. The SP-10 Magnum is so strong and robust that you could probably shoot hand loads with it that you would not want to try in any other 10 guage. I have seen some sites on the internet with details of hand loads for the SP-10 Magnum that substantially increase the range and lethality of the weapon. I would not try this with any 10 guage other than the massiveSP-10 Magnum.

I know there will be plenty of posts critical of the 10 guage in general and the SP-10 in particular but I like mine so much I even use it for hunting upland gamebirds like pheasant.

Caldoc
Old 01-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crowkilla

A 10 guage can't do a whole lot more than a 12 guage, in my opinion. If you are really hurtin for more shot in each load, just use 3.5" shells. If you arewanting more long range performance, I would look into a tighter choke and better-performing long range shells such asBlack Cloud and maybe aPatternmaster chole tube. But really there is no more practical and versatile shotgun than the 12 guage. Also, you will also find that ammo for the 10 is more expensive and not as available as for a 12. I'm sure there will be different opinions, so good luck in whatever you choose.
I agree with this 100%!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Crowkilla

The ten will just hurt your sholder a lot more!![&:]
Old 01-23-2008, 05:57 PM

I love my bps 10 this year I went hunting with my 12 with 3” #2s had a duck come swim in from 200yards to 50 I shot 3 times and the duck just flu away. The next time I brought my 10 same scenario except the duck was 65 yards away I killed 2 ducks with one shot.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Crow. I'd buy a 3.5 inch 12 gauge before a 10. It don't kill them any deader.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 PM

I have a Browning Pump Shotgun - 10 gauge and it will out shoot the best 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch magnum you can show me.

It doesn't try to shoot a 10 gauge load through a 12 gauge barrel - so the patterns are not long and stringy. They are tight and circular like a 12 gauge trap load through a skeet barrel.

It's great for reaching out for ducks and geese that arebeyond the rangeof your 12 gauge shotguns.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

I used to own a 10ga, but then traded for a 3.5" 12. I loved the 10ga and loved shooting it, but the 12ga gave me more options at refuges.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

The 10 guage is not necesssary for ducks.. I regularly hunt them with my 20.. The cost of the gun will not be as significant cost as the cost of shells.. If your having trouble hitting the ducks, try more practice.. It will be cheaper than the gun or shells..

Quick Reply: Ten gauges in your opinion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.