Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Whats the point?

Old 10-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Whats the point?

whats the point of 1 and 200 dollar duck calls? i mean really, you can get as good if not better calls for WAY less. i dont get it. why so expensive. it cant be the way its made, because i seen an acrilyc primos for 30 dollars, and and rnt acrilyc for 150 dollars. i dont get it.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the point?

You got a point as far as duck calls go. I've killed a ton of ducks with a $6 dollar primos. I also own calls that cost as much as $150 dollars. If the $150 dollar callssound that much better I can't hear it. Some of the cheap calls sound like poop, but some sound very good. I've never tried a high end duck call that didn't sound great.

When it comes to goose calls, there is a very distinct difference in how the calls sound. I have never found a cheap call that sounds as good as a high end call. However they sound good enough to kill geese at times. I only take high end calls goose hunting and my cheap calls stay at home in the box. Nowdays though, even my cheap duck calls stay at home, not because they won't work, just because Ipayed forthe high end ones.

Find calls that sound good and that you can afford, and practice! Good Luck!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

You got a point as far as duck calls go. I've killed a ton of ducks with a $6 dollar primos. I also own calls that cost as much as $150 dollars. If the $150 dollar callssound that much better I can't hear it. Some of the cheap calls sound like poop, but some sound very good. I've never tried a high end duck call that didn't sound great.

When it comes to goose calls, there is a very distinct difference in how the calls sound. I have never found a cheap call that sounds as good as a high end call. However they sound good enough to kill geese at times. I only take high end calls goose hunting and my cheap calls stay at home in the box. Nowdays though, even my cheap duck calls stay at home, not because they won't work, just because Ipayed forthe high end ones.

Find calls that sound good and that you can afford, and practice! Good Luck!!!
theres not much more to post other than what he already said.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Acrylic is a more expensive material, and almost all high end calls are made of it. I agree with the above posts about duck calls. Never really saw the point in paying over 30 or 40 bucks for an acrylic duck call. The other materialsseem to sound just as good. As far as goose calls, acrylic is the way to go IMO. Crisper sounds and a wider range.

P.S. - Brod Man you sure you saw an acrylic duck call for 30 bucks? That seems pretty cheap for an acrylic.