Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Just Wonderin'!

Old 09-14-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Just Wonderin'!

Hey, yall! I'm a beginning duck and goose hunter, and had a couple questions. Can you safely shoot steel shot in a full-chokeshotgun or will it ruin the barrel? Also, can you shoot these new bismuth and tungsten loads in a full-choke if steel shot is unsafe? Well, that's all for now. So long and good hunting.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just Wonderin'!

Well that depends on your gun. On the side of your barrel it should tell you wether or not you can shoot steel. Is it a "Permenant" Choke? A full barrel? I started out hunting with an 870. It had a 18" barrel and a full "choke" I shot a ton of steel through that gun. And it was perfectly safe too. OnceI learned How to shoot. Man I put the hurt on waterfowl. That choke was devestating! If you can I would reccomend switching to a modified choke. It generally is a better all around choke. Good luck!