Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Plucking ducks

Old 01-14-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Plucking ducks

I had a bird that was in such nice shape (at first I thought it had a heart attack cause I couldn't find a pellet hole in it) that I decided to pluck it. I will either roast or smoke the whole bird with the skin on so I want to get all the micro down feathers off.

Mostly I breast out my ducks so I am not sure how to deal with the last bits of downy feathers that would seem to take an extra hour to get out.

I was thinking I would brush over it with a butane kitchen torch really quickly and burn em off.

Will this work and if not what do you do when you pluck a bird?
Old 01-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Plucking ducks

You don't pick your ducks normally??? Man you are missin' out! I'll breast out geese and diver ducks (skin and bone on of course to keep them moist and ease cooking over the hot coals), but puddle ducks always get picked whole, minus the wings, which are too much work for no meat at all.

About the feathers: Don't worry about it. You don't eat the skin anyway, and they will burn off on the grill. All the skin does is retain moisture and protect the meat from getting charred (since ducks are best cooked over a high heat). When you are through with the roast/grill, then you can put the carcass in some water and chicken stock and boil it down for a gumbo roux or ragu or whatever. The skin will add a little fat and flavor to the roux, but take it out with the bones afterwards.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:32 PM

Thanks SwampCollie. This will likely be my start at plucking going forward. I pluck all my upland game but most of my ducks have been small (teal etc) and didn't seem worth it.

I am getting more into waterfowling vs upland and I am starting to get into larger birds including geese.

Do you pluck by hand or use one of those nubby mechanical ones I've seen in Cabelas? I was looking at the one that can go on a drill as a limit of birds could take a while by hand.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: scottr

Thanks SwampCollie. This will likely be my start at plucking going forward. I pluck all my upland game but most of my ducks have been small (teal etc) and didn't seem worth it.

I am getting more into waterfowling vs upland and I am starting to get into larger birds including geese.

Do you pluck by hand or use one of those nubby mechanical ones I've seen in Cabelas? I was looking at the one that can go on a drill as a limit of birds could take a while by hand.
I do it by hand. You get pretty quick at it the more you do it. I just use my thumb and swipe with the grain. Once you get a good patch out, you can litterally just wipe the rest away. I start at the neck on the breast side, holding the bird head towards me in my right hand and use my left to pluck from neck to tail. Next I go under the birds right wing and roll down the back. I don't go too far up the wing, but leave a little on so I don't take out any brest meat. I bust the wing bone with kitchen shears and then cut the skin with a fillet knife. Those small birding knives work well too, but fillet knives are ubiquitous around my camp. I lop off the head and feet and cut out the guts...ta-da. I don't worry about every little speck of blood or anything like that. Doesn't have to be perfect...doesn't have to be FDA approved. Nothing in a wild bird that will hurt you...no hormones or pesticides...100% free range organic!
Old 01-14-2007, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pluck all my ducks. They are my favourite wildmeat and I don`t want to waste any. Most ofmy geese I breast out plus I keep the thighs and legs. With the ducks, I don`t usuallygut them until after I have plucked them as it is a lot cleaner plucking that way. Then I singe all the down off with a little burner I have, then gut them.
Another way for geeseis topluckthe breast then cut out the whole breast plate just where it joins the ribcage. Leave the skin on and you can roast it this way, it makes a nice little roast plusthe skin helpskeeps it moist(a lot less taken up space also).

Ron
Old 01-15-2007, 08:58 AM

Gosh I am glad to read a thread like this. I thought everyone nowdays was too lazy to clean waterfowl the right way ie plucking. I use a little propane blowtorch to singe the down and hair off after plucking. I then use a duckbill tin snips to cut the wings off next to the body and the feet athe joint and cut the tail off just above the anus then cut a slit from that opening to the breast bone. All that is left is a good flushing in cold water and making sure ALL the guts are out. One other thing Snow geese have such tender skin they are almost impossible to pluck. Canada geese after they are slick and fat after the early season you should really try plucking one of them. If you enjoy good roast duck you will also love a Canada roasted to perfection Mmmmmmmm. Good luck on your hunting and enjoy the bounty of a delicious waterfowl dinner.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:32 AM

Alsatian I was not able to Pm to you personally (computer illiterate I guess) but the best duck or goose rosting advice is from my wife. Rub outside and inside with salt and pepper then she stuffs it with crotons raisins and apple and celery pieces and chopped small onion all mixed. Then it goes into roasting bag and into the oven at 300 to 325 degrees for about 3 hours. The reason for the Reynolds oven bag is to hold in the juice and help tenderize the bird. Also if their is a little meat left over afer your first meal make a little gravy, cut the meat into small pieces and serve over potatoes or just a slice of bread. Gosh my mouth is watering right now. Guess I'll get a bird out of the freezer now.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drgildy

Gosh my mouth is watering right now. Guess I'll get a bird out of the freezer now.
I heard that! A black duck and a fresh this morning killed woodroe are going on the grill post haste in about three hours!

Jasmine rice...green beans...green salad...Sun-Drop!
Old 01-15-2007, 02:42 PM

has anyone ever tried the melted wax method of plucking? it goes like this: melt a stick of candle wax in a large pot;dip the duck into the hot(not boiling just hot enuf to melt wax)water let dry a few minutes until wax solidifies and then peel!!!! the down comes off with the feathers no need to singe.like peeling an orange.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:19 PM

Marty been there done that. Sounds easy but it takes more wax than a candle unless you have a 2 # candle and it is a mess too. It does make for a very clean duck though. My opinion. The best thing that I see on this thread is that you guys all seem to be ambitious enough to at least clean your game. That means a lot to an old fart like me.

Quick Reply: Plucking ducks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.