Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Need help on settin up for early goose!!!

Old 08-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need help on settin up for early goose!!!

My friend and I recently went scouting and got permisson to hunt a cut wheat filled that is still filled with wheat. We have seen about 80 geese out there in morning and at night. The field is about 500-600 yards long and about 200-300 yards wide. 2 of our buddies want to hunt it with us on opener friday. My buddy and I who found the field said thats fine and had the idea of setting up in 2 family groups, about 200-300 yards away. Is this a good idea or are there too many guys huntin this field. We have seen the geese in seperate groups, but we dont know if its going to be too crowded and the birds will either get spooked or land in between or spreads. Please help me ASAP as tomorrow will be the last time i can check before opener Thanks for the help
Old 08-31-2006, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need help on settin up for early goose!!!

How many dekes do you have?? Would it be 4 guys total?? If 4 guys you should be fine as long as you ALL blend in, you need layouts or burlap covered in straw/stubble from the field. As far as setting up get out into the field taking wind and arrival direction into consideration and set up dekes into family groups with a spread around your set up and some out to the sides not more than 45-50 yds from you....
Old 08-31-2006, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think 4 guys is fine. We usually have 5 but we hide in the fence line.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:14 PM

4 guys is fine for a hunt. There is no need in setting two separate groups of decoys- put em all in to one flock- maybe don't use all of them casue that can be intimidating but maybe 4 or 5 dozen even 6 if you have that many, not sure how many you have? If you still have standing wheat take a few fence posts and some cage wire and make a makeshift blind out of that, place it on the edge of the standing field and brush it up real good, you'll blend right in and you can all fit- Ihave a field that is in a management area and just brush my blind there up with the grass and do exactly like I told you. Its cheap and quick to do- it only will take like an hour or so.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

How did your hunt go?