" />

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

hunting methods?

Old 08-20-2006, 10:41 PM

Default hunting methods?

I stalk hunt for ducks (spot and stalk), I know alot of you set up decoys but thats not for me, dose any one else stalk hunt for duck?
Old 08-21-2006, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: hunting methods?

When you say "spot and stalk" do you really mean pond hopping?

If so, then yes I have been known to jump a pond or two if I failed to get my limit with the deeks.

As for not enjoying setting up decoys, what is your premise behind this?

For me, I enjoy setting up a good decoy string and hitting the call to lure the ducks in. One of my favorite things to watch are ducks locked in heading my way, and I can't do that while pond hopping.I also love to watch my dogs' eyes when he seesthe ducks coming towards him. Itruly believe he loves duck hunting more than I do.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

im going to agree with ryanaller on that one, but jump shooting can also be a fun way to hunt ducks
Old 08-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think id rather hunt over deeks...it will make it more rewarding....using your techniques/ calls to lure them in
Old 08-21-2006, 07:55 PM

Ryan, their are fingers off the snake river and large puddles that I hunt and I gess I don't hunt with decoys because for me it is easer and I can usually get more. I don't have any decoys although I know people that do and I ain't the best caller if ya know what I mean,lol. Money is also an issue and sence it is cheaper to stalk hunt, "pond hopping", thats what I do.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:37 AM

I will do what is needed to get some shooting.
jhtrapper I know what you mean about calling, I am brutal, but luckily it doesn't really matter up here.
Also having a slough jump shoot with a few people can be very rewarding also. Andy
Old 08-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I hunt a small marsh and if I can't get the ducks to come into the dekes, chances are I'll see where they land and I'll jump'em out of the canoe.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:04 AM

"jump shooting" as we call it around here is a great way to get some shooting in miday whenm te ducks may not be flyin, just try to pick water with lots of vegatation around it or is banked high so you can sneak up unnoticed, also hunt with a partner and split up, (safely so you dont shoot at eachother) have one guy shoot after they jump and set the other up on thier most likely route of escape. good luck on that. and i beg you to hunt over some dekes, mallards cupped and locked is one of the greatest things youll ever see.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where we do most of our duck and goose hunting in N.D. we'll do a variety of different ways. Much of the time we start scouting the general areas of big and smaller sloughs we hope to hunt, jumping some ducks that present themselves on the smaller sloughs.
We'll try setting up decoys a few times each trip on certain bigger sloughs usually where we know there will be ducks and geese traveling between big water and feed in the mornings and toward late afternoon.
Setting up decoys in combined wheat fields for geese and northern ducks can be a blast the first hour or so, especially if there is a light ground fog calling them in and seeing them appear out of the mist locked in.
We've gone to mostly silhouet geese decoys and some shells for that, so not as expensive.
We stay flexible and as long as it's legal and won't spoil it for others, we enjoy each of those methods. The dogs love it anyway they can get it to go out after the downed birds.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:39 PM

Blindbound86, hopefully I will get to hunt over some deeks because I love to switch things up, but we"ll see, I just love to be out there on those cold foggy mornings even if I don't get any thing, it's always fun!