Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose Hunting

Old 07-18-2005, 09:01 AM

Default Goose Hunting

Hey Guys,
Im a deer/turkey hunter that wants to get into Canada goose hunting. To tell you the truth, I dont know where to start. What do i need to get started? what does it involve? Do i need a retriever?

Any info would be great...

Seth
Old 07-18-2005, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Goose Hunting

1st off you do not need a dog unless you hunt alot of water then it might be a god idea. You need to have a spot public or private where at least some geese are know to hang out. Get your self some decoys preferably fullbodies or silos....and floaters if ya hunt water...you can kill them over a couple dozen. A flag is a good investment....used as an attactant. And last but not least a goose call. I blow a short reed but any call style will work. Go out and have fun and it is very addictive!!!

GHJ
Old 07-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

im an aware of how many birds u can shoot i dont think its more than 4
so 2 dzn shells would be fine... as you get older and if you fall in love you should buy the more expensive full bodies i preferably hunt in fieldsso we do not use a dog... a 7-9 yr old boy works fine we dont reall y use a spread just scatter themand we position and face so they land towards our face...ovouisly calls ...........yah your going to want to practice blow from the diaphram and the short are good and there are longer ones flutes etc
Old 07-18-2005, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the tips.

I live in Northern Illinois and we have a real problem with geese overpopulation. In our area the limit is 5 a day whereas other parts of the state are 2 a day. Usually im deer hunting during the waterfowl season here and have never thought about it until now. I figure this will be a great break from deer hunting.

Thanks again,
Seth
Old 07-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

do you have an early "nousence geese season" if soo scatter the decoys into family" groups because the geese will still be in there 8-10geese flocks so
scatter them out put like 5 then 8 or w/e just make a room for the flocks ocming in and it helps to know where the geese are going because they usually go inthe same feilds day after day for a whille but you could prbly get a flock to break off if you are before there water and feeding area..jmo
Old 07-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

It is very imprtant to blend in with your suroundings. You can pick up a layout blind for anywere between $100-$300 and it will make field hunting much more comfortable. This is a pic of two Avery Migrator layout blinds with Avery Killerweed.

I like putting my decoys out in a V shape with the layout blinds in the bottom and a family group at the top of each side of the V and one family group on each side between the layout blinds and the top of the V. We also put decoys around us at the bottom of the V. If you get some flying decoys put them infront and or behind you so the geese will land in the pocket infront of you. I prefer the Big Foot full bodies but the Judge ones are good to. I do not like Carrylite decoys of all the decoy brands we have the carrylites are the worst for keeping thepaint on them, they chip off and look like crap. The Big foots and Green head gears seem to be the best for keeping the paint on them.

Look for a copy of Take'em 6 on DVD, you can watch some hunts and see how they do it and it has a second DVD that has 1 hour of how to duck calling and 30 min of how to short reed goose calling (pay attention to the come back call, it works very well). I would recomend gettinga Mick Lacy Chinnok short reed goose call, it is very easy to blow and sounds very good. It is only about $25.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I started goose hunting I had a piece of burlap to hide under and 5 decoys. I killed some geese and the most important factor was to scout and get permission in fields that the geese frequent and be where they want to be. The easiest calls to learn on are flutes IMO and great for starting out the more you like it the more you will spend on it just like any other hunting.