Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

white Balance

Old 02-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default white Balance

Using the snow to white balance as the light fades in evening. I find it hard to get a quick white balance that can cause the scene to look blue. Any suggestions
Old 02-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: white Balance

Are you saying you are using the snow to white balance and getting a blue hue in your footage? If so , try using a white card instead of the snow, also try using a warmer scene file in low light.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a very red-neck way of describing it - because I'm not a technical expert when it comes to cameras; but I do know how to correct the white balance on a couple differentcameras to produce brilliant footage.

Often times, the difference between getting "good white balance" is whether you are white balancing in the shade, or in the direct light coming from the source (sun, sunset - sunrise). Sometimes you must try both - view the colors - and make a decision if it looks good.

On both the Canon GL2 and Sony PD-170, the correct lighting is a warm and some-what yellowish looking color scheme. The blue is bad. When I see blue, I try a different light angle until I get that "yellowish" warm glow. Then I know it's nailed.

Trust your eyes - not the camera.

Out...
Old 02-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: spikeman

Using the snow to white balance as the light fades in evening. I find it hard to get a quick white balance that can cause the scene to look blue. Any suggestions
You should be using a white balance card. I made a few of my own, white on one side and different color correction gels on the other side. That way I can warm balance, cool balance, OR white balance.