Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

What Movie Camera for deer hunting?

Old 12-11-2006, 06:33 AM
Host of Hosts

Default What Movie Camera for deer hunting?

Please Moderators before you move this to trail cameras or somewhere let me explain why I put it in bowhunting. I figure that alot more folks would know thew answers to the question in this forum, because more bowhunters film whitetails tahn any other group of hunters. In trail cameras most are still novices and asking about what trail cam they should get. Anyway I want to get a movie camera to film deer while out hunting. I can't spend a thousand dollares or carry a full size production camera like the Drury's, but what type of zoom should it have? fugure the distances of what I'd be filming would be 30 yards a t the most. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Movie Camera for deer hunting?

I moved your thread into the Video/Photography Forum as it is much better suited here.

To answer your question, I guess it depends on what you're looking to get out of your video. If you just want it for your own personal use or to show your buddies you can get by with any decent handheld that you can pick up at Best Buy. However, if you want something a little higher quality with a better zoom, manual focus, and some of the bells and whistles that the "pros" use, you'll need to buy something a little nicer.

We picked up a Canon GL2 this year for filming and it has worked out great for us. From everything I've read and heard this is a great "beginner" type camera that's a step above that stuff you'll find at Best Buy, but not quite as nice as what the professionals are using. It has a good zoom, is decent in low light, isn't too huge or bulky, and is reasonably priced. I believe we paid right around $2K for the camera, tapes, tape cleaning kit, lens filters, shotgun mic, and extra battery.

I'm sure some of the other more seasoned videographers will be able to help you out more, but that should give you a good start.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

We use sony mini's that you can buy at walmart for $269 as our extra shot cameras and the picture is great but the audio stinks!!! Walt
Old 12-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Host of Hosts

Thanks Walt for the info