Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

dove hunting

Old 03-02-2002, 08:52 PM

Default dove hunting

i've heard of a few people hunting doves. is there some special way to hunt them, and where do you find them? its not real important as the next dove season isn't for almost a year but i'd like to gather some info. and i've found that this is one of the best places.

Edited by - jason_j_21 on 03/02/2002 21:57:28
Old 03-03-2002, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: dove hunting

i hunt em in corn and wheat fields....just sitting in the field on a bucket or woodline shooting passing birds...i only went twice...but both times we had a blast and emptied alota shells...i only went twice coz i go with my friend and his dad being my dad doesnt bird hunt much...im gunna try to get him to this year...also if theres a small creek or pond near fields in the wide open they will fly up and down the creek bed...or fly past the ponds...also you can put a decoy line out...and call also...theres many ways to hunt doves...post nething u wanna kno sum1 should be able to help..dove hunting is one of my favorites...

mauser06
Old 03-03-2002, 04:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-05-2002, 07:39 AM

Corn, Milo, and Wheat Stubble are very good for doves, however NOTHING beats sunflowers. Depending on the local farmers, you will find them in milo quite often because it's generally not cut until September.

If you do walk a corn field, I'd suggest taking your time, and walking ACROSS the rows. The birds will more often see you walking up the row and may flush too quick.

Another tip is to be close to a pond with a nice open bank with not too much cover. Mornings are best for the waterholes...if you find one close to a corn, milo, or sunflower field you'll be home free.

Question for the board. I've heard RUMORS that dove season for some states may be pushed up to open August 1st. Anyone out there have any information or websites regarding this???
Old 03-07-2002, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do some scouting, and note the doves routes. If you don't pressure them too much, they'll pretty much stick to the routes. Check the power lines. Doves love to perch on them. Some guys even erect "fake" power lines to help attract doves the their property. After shooting a few birds, or after many misses, you may need to move a bit.
I used to use field & range loads for doves, but have had better luck with heavy game or high brass heavy game #7,7.5 or 8 shot. They're a little more $$ upfront, but the extra speed of the shot resulted in more birds with fewer shots.
Skeet, Cylinder, and Improved cylinder are all good chokes for dove. Later in the season you may have to switch to a Modified choke for the extra range if the birds get skittish and start giving you a wide berth. To quote a friend, "Late season doves will put moves on you that Ajax won't take off." You'll see.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:41 AM

I think all of these replys were good and accurate so i am just adding a few things to them. Coming from California and the area I am at, we have alot of canals and almond orchards mainly so I just park my truck next to the trees and wait for them to come in and roost. One thing i have learned over the years when they are coming in is try to avoid making fast movements when raising up your gun. Dove coming in a straight flight will start twisting or whatever to avoid whatever it is (this case, the hunter) that has made the quick movements. What i usual do when i see a bird coming in front of me, i just slowely raise my gun up and try to make a shot when they are more or less 45 degrees from me (so i just have to put the bead just in front of their heads rather then guessing a lead when they are actually even with me), when there is a couple, do the same thing but might have to be little bit quicker to get the other bird because you know naturaly a dove is going to be spooked after the first shot and will try to 'get the hell out of Brooklyn' Hopefully this will help you out as much as the other guys advise. Good Luck and good hunting to you.

Sean
aka S.X.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find the fly-ways.I try to set up where there is food,water and cover.I take my folding chair,a bottle of water and alot of shells.Alot of fun to hunt & good eating.Also,use the heavier loads.I shoot mostly Hi-brass #8's.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:53 AM
Fork Horn

A year? Sept. 1 here. It is an absolute day off work around here. We get a lot of them. Sunflowers are of utmost importance. Find them or plant them. It is normally like a clay pigeon shoot. You can take the wife, kids, and dogs. Scout the day before and find the fields they can't resist. Set up a lawn chair where you saw them early in the morning and bring plenty of water. Since you are new to the sport, bring 4 boxes of 8 or 9 shot, lead if possible. Open choke and a gun that shoots good when hot. Since they are migratory birds, feed them sunflower seeds about a month before season. And also the corn fields are a hot shoot after the harvest. If they tend to feed everywhere in your area, look for their roost. Pine trees. Then set up the chair in the evening and whack them after they get a drink and head for the roost in the evening. And another often overlooked spot are oil wells and rock quarries. They have to eat some grit along with the food and water. Hope this helps but I don't know your locale.
Old 03-30-2002, 06:42 PM
Spike

Although this goes against most advice for hunting, the best dove hunting is usually where there are lots of dove hunters. I enjoy walking field edges and wild sunflower patches or lines of trees along fields during mid day resting but that's not really a dove hunt. The hottest shooting is usually either finding a point that a LOT of doves are continuously flying over, or an area where there is a lot of overall dove activity and a lot of dove hunters keeping them moving. Doves soon learn to spot hunters and will fly around them out of range and land a litle ways off to feed. If the hunter tries to approach they will often flush out of range. If you can find a popular public area for doves try scouting just before the opener to see if there are a lot of doves. Then try to see where they seem to be flying the most. Opening morning is the best time and if you see a spot that doves are flying better (and no one else is standing) move to it right away. Just don't be rude and move right in on someone elses spot. The other hunters tend to keep them flying so the shooting is often much more frequent and mostly overhead shots which are fun. If you see a dove approaching stand still. Many people crouch immediately but the movement will give you away faster than your outline will. Camo can sometimes help but remember that gamebirds and game animals can see UV brighteners from regular laundry detergent. On opening day a skeet choke and 8's or 9's works better and will make it much easier to hit birds. Later in the season when they are more wary 7 1/2 shot and an IC or mod choke is better.
Old 03-30-2002, 06:46 PM
Spike

September 1 is the earliest Federal law will allow a state to open a dove season. I doubt that will change although it is really too late for many western states.

Quick Reply: dove hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.