Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

dove hunting

Old 04-01-2002, 10:18 AM

Default RE: dove hunting

Jason, you don't say where you're from but check your local laws before putting out any bait. Hunting a baited field is illegal in TX, so we try to find sunflowers or areas where grain was harvested. Standing sunflowers are also good cover. I also like to hunt treelines with a lot of mesquite around. I like a modified choke year-round but I can see how the more open choke would be good for early season birds. I load my own shells mostly for enjoyment but there is a small $ savings. Mine are pretty much just a factory load with 7-1/2 shot for added range and better knockdown. Camo is good, but like DrDan said, being still is the best camoflage. Practice, practice practice. If you're not already a wingshooter, take advantage of nearby skeet, trap and sporting clays courses to sharpen up your swing. I shoot a few rounds every year before the season starts. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 04-27-2002, 02:27 PM

I have went once with a friend and we just drove around until we saw a bunch and got out and shot at them and waited there a while and they would come back and we would shoot at them again
Old 05-18-2002, 06:37 PM

Ponds and tanks early in the morning and a little after lunch works good for me. Wheat fields with sunflowers on the fence row close to a tank is a really good place. Powerlines are a good bet also. Doves also use gravel (correct me if Im wrong) to help crush the food they eat up. So, if you get around a rocky place with small gravel areas, then the birds my go there. but everyone has told you basically what you need to know. Good luck.

BrandonT