Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Doves are protected in NY as songbirds

Old 09-26-2003, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Doves are protected in NY as songbirds

I remember when I was young, and read about all the dove hunts, especially in the south - it sounded like a lot of fun. - Along about the early 1980s my freind and I decided to go out to a local cut corn field and do some dove shooting - we bagged a few, and brought them back to eat - My freinds' father informed us that it was illegal to hunt doves in NY and that we should not do it any more.

Come to find out he was right - and as far as I know its still the case. I wish they would change the law in NY - We have a high Mourning Dove population.

Old 10-14-2003, 01:14 AM

Default RE: Doves are protected in NY as songbirds

farm hunter, what a bummer! In Arkansas, dove season usually opens around the first of September kicking off our fall hunting season. We greatly look forward to this hunt, but there seem to be more dove in the later season ( dove is broken into three seperate seasons here). Maybe you can get other hunters that are interested in dove hunting to band together and appeal to your Wildlife Management offices to change it. Even though they are a song bird, they are also a game bird. Our governing wildlife agency A.G.& F.C. hold meetings open to the public throughout the state to get hunters input that is taken into consideration for the upcoming seasons. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Old 10-15-2003, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah that is a bummer right there. I cant remember how many dove there are in the US alone but i know its in the high millions. You take all the doves killed during hunting, natural cases, predators, it doesnt even put a dent in the population. They should take the law out of the picture there in NY[:' (]
Old 10-15-2003, 06:16 PM
Spike

You should have checked the regs book before you went hunting for something just because you saw it on tv.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:25 PM

Same thing here in MN. Dove are considered song birds. I don' t see it changing anytime soon either. Oh well.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:24 PM

They tried that here in California this year, and surprisingly it didn' t go through.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

It' s that way in Mi. as well. The hunters of this state did as suggested and banded together to try and change it. Took three trys to get the legislature to go for it.

Then the anti' s got it put on the ballet and that ended the hunt before we ever had one. It' ll never change here now. To dam many city folks voting their emotions and not enough hunters. Because a bunch of idiots in Detroit don' t understand wildlife management we don' t hunt dove here, just export them to the states south of us that do. And from Ohio and Indiana and all points on south of them they all hunt the Mi. birds headed south.

But the idiots in Detroit don' t understand that.