Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Going out to Russell, KS tommorrow...

Old 01-19-2002, 04:56 PM

Default Going out to Russell, KS tommorrow...

For the last time this year. Mentally readying myself for humping CRP next to the cropped Milo. I'll let you folks know how it goes this late in central KS. I bought some 5s just in case they jump out far, maybe load 6 and 5 in the magazine...and using some hints about how they are smart and fat/feathered this time of year. We're going to try some quiet techniques for the experienced roosters. WE have some consistant WIHA areas we're going to try out there. Not sure what the snow last night will do. It's gonna be cold, windy and snow on the ground melting. Any hints for this late-season hunting before we head out at Oh-dark-thirty tomorrow morn? I'll stay on-line for a while.

Dan
Old 01-19-2002, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Going out to Russell, KS tommorrow...

with the snow and wind the birds may sit fairly well has all the makings of a good hunt. if hunting with dogs let the dogs be your guide let them take you in the direction there nose pulls them to and give them time to work an area. keep em, in tight and look for bird sign as you walk. GOOD LUCK
Old 01-19-2002, 05:39 PM

We're going with Murphy, my friend's young but good Brittany. We probably should have been out there today, but that's as it is. Weathermeisters say it will be windy. I'm Psyched, locked and loaded! Thanks.

Dan
Old 01-19-2002, 07:35 PM
Spike

If you are in a small group of three or less, hitting small pockets quietly and fast is a good technique right now. You have to have people who won't slam doors or spend time messing around before jumping into the cover. Especially hit those little 20 foot long plum thickets or 10 foot patch of weeds around a power pole people have been driving past all season. Be safe with the gun handling but don't give those roosters time to think it over and start running.
Old 01-19-2002, 08:06 PM

Great hints. Will let ya'll know how it goes.
Thanks!

Dan
Old 01-20-2002, 01:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The snow should really help the hunting so they don't run on ya. Good luck!
Visit My Hunting Page