Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Going on a Quail Hunt-What do I need to know?

Old 01-19-2003, 08:28 PM

Default Going on a Quail Hunt-What do I need to know?

I hunt mainly Varmints and target shoot. However, a friend of mine has invited me to go quail hunting in North Carolina. I will take a 12 gauge 1100 with a skeet barrel (all I have). The temperature will be 30ish. I plan on wearing thinsulate jeans (green), warm shirt and Muck Boots.

Shot trap this afternoon and did ok (never well enough!). So, what else would be helpful for me to not embarrass myself and have fun!
Old 01-20-2003, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Going on a Quail Hunt-What do I need to know?

Well I hunt them with a 1100 LT 20ga 26" improved cyl. Works like a champ...YOu should have not problems. Were in NC are you going?

Old 01-20-2003, 11:51 PM

A few things to remember if your freind has dogs for quail hunting. First always know where they are before you shoot at a bird. Never shoot at a quail if it is down to low. Also remember not to try give commands to another fellows bird dogs. If the dog is retrieving the bird let the dog go to the handler for the retrieve, unless the handler gives you permission to except the bird. That covers the most of the hunting dog. Oh yeah do not make ill comments about his or her dogs if they are not behaving, or not doing as good of job as you expected. As far as the shotgun goes step up to a slightly larger pellet at greater speed than you would usually use. I would suggest
some fast 1 1/4oz. 7 1/2's or even 6's. This will give you a little more range. Have fun and let us know how you did.

Use a Big Lead to shoot them
were they aint.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:23 PM

Will you be shooting wild birds or released? If it's wild, I would find another gun to take. At least here in Southwest Gergia, the quail hunting capital of the world, using an automatic is frowned on...Using a gun as big as a 12 GA auto is prohibited on many of our plantations. The birds are just too special to get hunted with a gun gives that much advantage to the hunter.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:53 PM

You didn't say whether or not these are wild quail. Although I have never hunted pen raised birds, I can't imagine using anything more than 1 oz of 7 1/2's on any quail (if you plan to eat them).

I use 3/4oz of 8's in my 28 and it's more than enough. If you use 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 oz of 6's you should be hunting late season pheasants. An oz of 7 1/2's will kill quail very easily out to 35 yards. The skeet choke is the way to go.

Have fun, they're a heck of a bird. Wish our season here was still open.

Old 02-15-2003, 04:39 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]