Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

WHAT IS BEST TIME TO HUNT GROUSE

Old 01-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default WHAT IS BEST TIME TO HUNT GROUSE

question, do you have favorite time to be in woods after grouse.some like early morning .what is your best time to be hunting grouse.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:57 AM

Default RE: WHAT IS BEST TIME TO HUNT GROUSE

I like to hunt early am in the fall and after noons in the winter, but I dont think there is realy a "best time" to hunt birds. I would have to say the best time to go is when you can get away, simple hay. I hunt am in the fall just because I like to get up early and get out and still have some time left inthe day to do other things.

In winter (cold/snow) the birds can take alittle while to get out of the trees.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:50 PM

I find the best time to hunt grouse is when im out hunting deer. Where I hunt the grouse are everywhere all the time so when I see one I pull out my pellet gun, pop, throw in the sack and off I go.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

reason i asked, i been going out here in winter at 1 pm. grouse tracks are fresh in snow but no grouse.lately i have been seeing them flying from high in trees at 1pm and in high winds too.you would think they would be on ground when windy,nooooooooooooo,way up 40 ft in trees, ha. my dad used to say grouse will fly down out of tree in morning to drink etc then up in tree the rest of day in winter.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:36 PM

yah their just like deer. Feed in morning hide during the day and come back out during dawn.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:59 AM

The best time to hunt grouse? Any time you can.

I seldom get up at the crack of dawn to hunt grouse. I usually find myself stepping into the woods around 9am, the birds are still on the roost, or haven't moved around enough to lay down much scent for the dogs. If it was a cold night, and it's a cold morning, the birds will roost even later, soI won't hurry.The midday, and afternoon always seem better to me, but an animals last meal before turning in is usually it's most important, so this comes as no surprise to me.

Grouse need different habitit to survive. They have roost cover, feed cover, and escape cover. Identify these types of cover in your hunting area, and think about weather conditions, and time of day. These factors will dictate where you find the birds.

There are a few good books about grouse hunting available. You might enjoy reading one or two of them. I did. I learned a lot from them, and my hunting improved as a result. Try Grouse Hunters Guide by Dennis Walrod. In fact, now that i have it out, I think I'll read it again.

Good luck