Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Iowa Pheasant Hunt

Old 09-15-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Iowa Pheasant Hunt

Anyone hunt northwest Iowa? Any advice? I'm heading there this November!
Old 09-18-2005, 09:00 AM

Default RE: Iowa Pheasant Hunt

I haven't, but my brother used to live up by Sheldon. It depends on where in NW Iowa you are going. A lot of it is as flat as my kitchen table and no cover anywhere. I remember when I went to visit him passing the Hillview Farm. D@#%] If I know where the hill was, but I guess you could see it from there. Closer to the river it gets so steep if you trip, you would roll down the hill, and they are fairly tall! I would advise you to get your boots broke in well as it will be a lot of walking. According to the DNR Roadside survey, most of NW Iowa looks good to excellent for pheasant and pretty good for gray partridge. The link is at: http://www.iowadnr.com/wildlife/files/upmaps.html
Don't know what else to tell you but good luck!
Old 09-18-2005, 07:38 PM

One of the things about NW Iowa is that much of it is great farm ground - so they try to farm every square foot they can! Good pheasant habitat is often ---- not as abundant as many would wish for.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:23 AM

I too have a hunt planned for Northwest Iowa the first part of November. I will be around the Spencer area and will be hunting with a friend who is also a local. Generally, farmers are receptive to hunters in that part of the state. I know this will sound like a broken record, but always treat them with respect and leave the land better than when you arrived. I'm sure we'll be knocking ona few doors too. Good luck.

Old 09-25-2005, 06:26 PM

i hunt sw iowa and all u have to do is walk in to tall grass thats after u get the right permission and what not