Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Kansas pheasant hunting for wild birds

Old 07-14-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Kansas pheasant hunting for wild birds

Each year we do a different type of hunt. This year we are looking into a wild pheasant hunt. I will not shoot something from a cage. We would like to hunt Kansas due to the distance. Can anyone recommend anything. We do not have dogs. They are retired and waiting to be replaced. Public, private, or guided.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:09 PM

Default RE: Kansas pheasant hunting for wild birds

I wish I could help, didnt even know Kansas had birds. All I can tell ya is to keep in mind you may have to work for them, I hunt pheasnts in North Dakota, all on public land and it can be tuff, but when ya get birds ya know you have erned them. We hunt for about 4or 5 days and get about 20 Pheasnts and a few sharp tails and once in a while ahun. We have two dogs that cover alot of ground.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:54 PM

I live in KS and we have some pretty good upland hunting in all of the state. There is a lot of public land in northcentral and northeastern KS where there is CRP grass. It gets hunted a lot and quickly. Go to www.kdwp.state.ks.us/ then go to hunting then where to hunt. There will be a newwalk in hunting atlas WIHA available and you can check for ourfitters and public land. Should be able to find info there. Nothing better than a KS pheasant hunt. Beloit, Concordia. All good hunting inareas around these cities. Where are you from stink?

Chris
Old 07-15-2005, 02:25 PM

My family lives near Delphos, KS and they say the pheasants are thick around there. I'm hoping to help thin out the population a little this fall on my way back from hunting elk in CO.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:56 PM

I am from Weatherford, Tx. It is just west of the DFW area.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:58 PM

Hey Stinkbelly, I am from Pratt (70 miles west of Wichita) We got plenty of birds around here. I am new here, but would be more than happy to have you come hunting with us. Nothing special, just a couple of guys with some dogs hitting the CRP. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:36 PM

I live near Kansas City and we hunt pheasants alot. I won't miss opening weekend (though it can be crowded) but then after that I like to wait until late in the year when alot of the cover is gone and so are most of the hunters. Get one of the Walk In Hunting Area atlases (the new ones may be out). In general, the central and west central areas are the best.