Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Three "First Time Hunts"

Old 04-28-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Three "First Time Hunts"

I've got one tag left here at home for 5th season, but so far I have had a fairly good season. My first tag went unfilled and that is always disappointing, but I worked birds every day of the 2nd season.

The 3rd season was my wife's third year to hunt. She had missed a jake the first year and couldn't get the shot due to safety complications last year. This year was different though. We had a bird come right to us off the roost on her first day and she smoked him at 25 yards. Her First turkey weighed in at 16.75 lbs, 10" beard and 1" spurs.

My 4th season tag was looking bad the first two days of the season. I had 4 strutting toms at 70 yards the first day and still couldn't close the deal. I had guys move in from my left, which didn't help, but I don't think it actually prevented me from killing. Then to top it off, as the birds moved away from me to my right, someone killed one of the birds farther to my right. It ended up I knew the guy and he's a heck of a turkey hunter. We just ended up on the same birds that morning coming from different directions. I got the best show but he got the turkey. The second day was lousy weather, but the third day turned around. My brother made it in to hunt with me. We got set up on some gobbling birds barely before flydown and they came in after about 40 minutes. As usual they came in on his side, but after he killed the front bird he moved out of my way and I managed to kill the second bird that had began to attack my brother's dead bird. I love it when a tukey acts stupid. This was our First Double, and it couldn't have made for a better ending to my fourth season tag. My brother's bird was 18.5 lbs, had 1 1/16" Spurs and a 11.5" beard. My bird weighed 22.5 lbs, had 1" spurs and a 10" beard.

A good friend was able to hunt Sunday before church and this last Wednesday morning of the 4th season to try and kill his first bird. We almost killed Turkzilla Sunday, but my buddy didn't have the shot. Another friend and myself could see the bird perfect at 30 yards but all Joe could see was beard and chest. Well things went better on Wednesday. After the big Tom flew down away from us into a field at a very late 7:00 AM, three jakes flew down in front of us about 30 yards. Joe missed with his first two shots at the same bird but managed to make a good shot with his third attempt at the same bird. Thank God for dumb Jakes that run in circles after being shot at. This was Joe's First Turkey. It weighed 15.5 lbs completely soaked, had a 5" beard and 1/2" spurs.

Old 04-28-2005, 09:09 PM

Default RE: Three "First Time Hunts"

First Double
I'm the guy on the left with the call in my mouth. My brother, on the right, forgot his facemask and had to use some old camo face paint I had in my vehicle.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:16 PM

Joe's soaking wet first.

Old 04-29-2005, 06:56 AM

sounds like it's been a good season so far, hope you finish with a BANG!