Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Big Boy is Dead

Old 04-28-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Big Boy is Dead

We all probably name a turkey or two. But a friend of mine from college and my dad have been hunting a bird we named "Big Boy" for the last 3 seasons. This old bird always roost in the exact same place and almost always leaves in a different direction. You know the type! Between my friend, my dad and me we have to many near misses to share on here.

Well, I flew into Kentucky this morning and hit the woods around noon. We had been sitting for a while in a draw that "Big Boy" likes to frequent. We managed to call in 4 jakes, nice ones with 6 inch beards. My buddy should be set for next year. About 30 minutes after the jakes came in a bird gobbled behind us and to my father's left. I told him to adjust a little to get in their direction. He gobbled about 10 times in an hour, but he wasn't hot. However, he would gobble at the call. It began to rain, not hard but steady.

Thirty minutes passed and wouldn't you know we get a chance to kill what turned out to be 2 longbeards, but dad can't get a shot. The birds got nervous and after some discussion between us he told me to shoot. The bird weighed 25.6 lbs, with a 12 inch beard that has a base of 1 1/2 inches. The beard has rot though and the long feathers are only about a 1/2 inch wide. The spurs were sharp curved 1 1/2 inches. He scored 79.6 pts on the NWTF scale.

We'll try to get dad and my friend a bird this weekend, but it was nice to get "Big Boy" I was afraid he wouldn't be around next season.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Boy is Dead

Wow!!! What a Brute!!!

It has to be very satisfying to take down a tom you have had your eye on for three years!!! Super congratulations!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Ryan!!! Any pic's of that rascal?[:-]
Old 04-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you guys had your work cut out for ya... Congrats
Old 04-29-2005, 03:42 PM

Nice bird.the place i like too hunt at has a BIRDZILLA that we been chaseing for a few year's know.i saw him last rifle deer season him a smaller tom and like 4 hen came out alone a trail i was hunting he looked at me in my hunter orange and just hung out for like 30 min before he left i swear they know when it's rifle deer season and i can't shot them !
Old 04-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

There's monsters in them there hills. Congrats,that's a big bird!
Old 04-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird!!! Congrats!!
Old 04-30-2005, 08:44 AM

I had seen your post also on www.vaturkey.com earlier and thats just a dandy bird
Old 04-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Ryan, nice bird and

Old 04-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

congrats......good job.....and NICE bird!!!

Quick Reply: Big Boy is Dead

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.