Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

bad weather birds......

Old 04-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default bad weather birds......

saturday is our opener......and it looks to be windy.....and possibly rain and maybe storms passing through....i commited a hunting sin......i scouted alot....but only to find my areas have all been ruined....one area guys on ATVs decided they will drive where htey want....make their own trails...using game trails(even though theres nice old loggin roads to ride on that will take them ANYWHERE they want to go.....) and my other hot spot i went to make sure my birds were still there to find a giant loggin road put in and they are cutting already...so its out too.....talked to a farmer and he got me 2 spots with birds and lots of them that shouldnt have many hunters...if any at all.....if i dont get out to scout this week ill use my hunting to find the birds....no biggie.....i got the first saturday....wed thurs and friday mornings to hunt....monday and tuesday i can skip school and hunt till 1030 if the weathers nice and i feel like gettin up.....so i got some hunting time....and all the saturdays off......i know where the brids are....just havent got out to pattern them like i normally do.....i dislike bad weather BADLY.....but saturday im hunting rain shine hail snow sleet or hurricane.....i heard fields are the best place to look in bad weather.....i got fields in both spots...they roost by them in both spots....im betting they fly into the field every morning to assemble and feed strut ect right there....they have no need to leave the field...and can go into a nice big set of woods....in that big set of woods in the one spot is atleast one or 2 other flocks of birds.....but the farmer said every time he is in that field theres always 6 LONG beards in there.....ALWAYS.....so what do you think? sneak in..listen for them.....sneak in close as i can.....set up.....tree call....fly down....and wait?? thats my plan as of now.....i know they might stay on the roost longer in bad weather too....i never hunted a field before....and dont own or hunt with decoys...i know that can hurt me....but im a sneaky SOB....ill belly crawl all day to get infront of them need be....ive snuck in on turkeys before like that and wasnt busted....if they are in the field and probably headed back in in a direction away from me i bet i can use the trees ect around to sneak into a good position....cant wait....jsut dont know how to hunt bad weather birds....will they talk at all?? will they respond to my calls at all??
Old 04-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bad weather birds......

ive gotten 2 birds both in rain they asnered just not much
Old 04-28-2005, 05:42 PM

the jr season last weekend was like that, and we heard 7 gobblers all day. my friend who took me out, called his "mentor" for turkey hunting, and asked him what to do. he said to call as loud as you can, just slam on them calls. it worked for us. hope this helps.

good luck
Old 04-28-2005, 10:46 PM

mauser, you helped me out with groundhogs, so the least i can do is offer help with bad weather beard draggers... i'm 17 and have killed several really nice birds already, some on my own, some w/ dad. if its rainy and nasty, i recomend getting into the edge of the field and putting out your decoys, use clucks and purrs, feeding calls, dont rush em to much, in rain they goto the fields anyways.... bring the 06 and kill groundhogs if the turkeys arnt around

good luck
Old 04-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ahah thanx import......actually founda new flock....that im almost 100% sure i will have to myself......only 3 problems with this flock.....sometimes they roost almost a mile away on posted property across a major roadway....sometimes they fly down the cliff to a giant field across a big deep creek....and the set of woods they should be in is rather small......so it will be a tough hunt......they roost in a small strip of woods between a field and the creek....and the field on the other side of the creek.....im just going out in the AM....waiting to hear them sound off.......and then setting a plan for attack.....sometimes they are far left in the actual woods....sometimes they are far right...right by the field...in a really small strip of woods....i was driving to my buddys to tell him i might be there hunting and looked across the road....a hen and a long beard were feeding.....so it looks good.....i just have to be alot more stealthy and patient......i like to sneak in and have them fly down in my lap..like last year.....but these birds can see in every direction.....i doubt i can pull that off.....but i gota find what trees they are in.....the farmer just plowed the field......so i bet they work into the field.......and theres a finger they use to walk into the field.....i think thats where ill set up....but to get to that finger without getting busted is going to be tough......ahhhhhhh i love turkey huntin!!!!!
Old 04-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser,

If it's going to be wet, getting busted is actually quite limited. The ground is soft and quiet, so just be sure to get into position well before astronomical twilight (about 1hr before sunrise), and you'll be fine.

Although turkeys see great, they lack a large number of rods in their eyes, so their night vision is actually quite awful. They won't know the difference between you and a deer, especially that early...

S&R