Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Success in Indiana

Old 04-27-2005, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Success in Indiana

I took a 21 pound gobbler this morning. He had a double beard, one was 11 inches, and the other 5. He had 20mm spurs. I worked him for an hour on the roost, and he wasn't on the ground for more than 20 seconds before the 11-87 nailed him. Hope everyone else has as much fun as I did today. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Success in Indiana

Work prevented me from catching opening day , but all I've seen besides a jake or two have been hens . Hens will come in handy this Fall , but right now they're frustrating me something fierce since they aren't being followed by gobblers .
Old 04-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is awesome!! I got one earlier this year but cant wait to get out again on Friday!!
Old 04-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

BHunter32
I see that you are from Liberty IN. I also live in Liberty, well actualy I live just south of Liberty. I am glad to see you had good luck this morning. I am new to turkey hunting and I went for the first time this morning. I did not fair near as well as you. I did here some gobbleing but did not see a thing. I was wondering if there would be any way of us getting together for a little advice? I don't want to sound pushy just thought it would be nice to get a little advice from someone without reading it. I am not very good at learning how to call by just reading it. It would be great to talk to you about your hunt as well. Let me know if you would like to meet up with me or not. I would apperciate any advice I could get from you. Congrats on the nice bird.

William
Old 04-28-2005, 09:20 AM

congrats! I had some good luck myself down here in Seymour. I created a post with some pics of my bird! All the build up for the season and it ends in less then one hour for me. Can't wait till the fall season locations are posted!
Old 04-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats BHunter32! I am glad it worked out for you but I wanted to offer some advice. You may already know this and if so then please disregard. But a lot of times if you keep calling to a gobbler while he is on the roost then he will just stay up there and gobble rather than pitching down. In othere words you would have probably killed him 45 minutes sooner if you had stopped calling to him. Not every time and it certainly sounds like it worked out well for you but many times it is the wrong thing to do especially if you are on or near public ground or private ground with other hunters because they have plenty of time to also set up on the bird.