Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help with a child's first hunt

Old 04-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help with a child's first hunt

I'm taking my 9 year old daughter along with me on PA's opening day next Saturday. She has a real interest in turkey hunting and I want to make her first time out a good experience for her. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should have her sit, etc. Any suggestions at all would be appreciated
Old 04-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with a child's first hunt

if you can, get a blind or build one prior. kids WILL move when you don't want them to! also bring hot chocolate and other snacks, a hungry kid is a cold /tired/bored kid. let her mess with the calls, etc...

taking kids out for the first time is great, but i learned (3 boys) that you CAN"T worry about getting a tom, just worry about having a good time. the rest will fall into place, and sooner or later they will sit still, be quiet , and a fat bird will sacrifice himself!

put the emphasis on fun (finding turtles, frogs, snakes, cool looking rocks, animal bones) and you'll have a great time whether you get a bird or not!

good luck, let us know how you make out!

-moose
Old 04-24-2005, 08:43 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Agree with Moose!

don't forget the hearing protection also!

She could put them on in the blind right before the shot.

Show her tracks if you find them. Show her the direction the bird is traveling. Let her try your box call and try to mimic your calling. Point out any other nature and animals or birds you see. It is not about shooting a turkey persay...it is about the outdoor total experience.

JW
Old 04-24-2005, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I agree. Bring snacks and stuff and hunt out of a blind is great idea. I would also add that you might not want to stay out as long as you normally would. When she's ready to go it might be a good idea to leave.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:44 PM
Dominant Buck

This might work for you!

Old 04-24-2005, 07:11 PM

i sit directly next to my dad and he says i move but he moves more...anyways it is probally best if you do move from spot to spot cause when i was 5 goin out with my dad i got bored but when i got my gun i looked like a statue(hope i spelt that right) and do what moose said too im 13 now
Old 04-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the usefull advice. I just want to make sure she has a good time.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

I think her just going out with her Dad will make her happy. I think if you explain to her what you are doign when you set up and things like that she will have a good time. Worst thing you can do is loose patience with her. Keep in the back of your mind that she is young and will probably move and fidgit and stuff, May even do like I did and yell THERE"S ONE DAD. Sat as quiet as a church mouse up until I saw one and it was just a squirrel. I would set up a blind that does allow her to move and let her sit so that she can definitely see the birds. Good Luck and have a GREAT day next weekend. Pat