Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

mossberg 835 ulti-mag

Old 04-15-2005, 09:40 AM

Default mossberg 835 ulti-mag

A buddy of mine won an 835 ulti-mag at a banquet last year, and has just taken it out of the box 2 days ago. Tried to pattern the gun and he has to aim a foot high, and a foot to the left to get bb's in the target at all. He has tried several choke/load combonations, and all with the same results. Anyone else having problems like this with their 835 ulti-mags? Any suggestions to what the problem may be?
Old 04-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: mossberg 835 ulti-mag

Not me. He could put a red scope on it, he check fron site to make sure it wasn't tweaked.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Mine shoots good, no problems here
Old 04-15-2005, 11:09 AM

I have the same exact shotgun and useing any brand ammo it does great!

When i tried Federal Flitecontrol Wad #4 & #6 3 1/2 i was more impressed with the #4's and my pattern of the turkey target was decent and at 41 yards away i hit the vital areas with 11 bb's and you only need 1 or 2 to take a tom down..

I reccomend your friend spend a few bucks and take the 835 to a reputable gunsmith...

I would have tried the shotgun way before waiting a year so if their was any problems it would have still been under warranty..
Old 04-15-2005, 01:19 PM

Had one ; Had problems ; sent it back to Mossberg 4 different times. They would say it was fixed each time. then I would get it back and same problem,send it back,they fix. try it same problem.
Got rid if of it fast.don't want another gun made by Mossberg[:'(][:@]

it would fire a round,eject the empty and close on empty chamber.(would not load another round). something about the bars in the sides would not release another shell).
they told me after the second time I sent it back,if it happened again they would send me a new gun or exchange it for another mod. ("That Was A Big Lie").[][&:]

sorry just had to vent a little, still mad about all the cost of shipping and all I had to go through..it cost me one deer and one turkey,because I had an empty chamber on the second shot.[:@]
Old 04-15-2005, 10:25 PM

Tree climber

It's not only Mossberg believe me, i bought a 597 camo model 22 rifle from remington that was sent to 5 different gunsmith within a 6 month stint and the last gunsmith who designed the rifle told me it was an ejectory problem and a design flaw in the rifle and it had to be returned and after i spent money and every thing under the sun for this 22 rifle remington team leader lara watson promised me an upgrade once remington recieved the rifle back and she also recieved a copy of my sales reciept and after waiting she called me and said that she could not upgrade the rifle for the money i lost with buying cleaning kits, ammo , scope etc she told me she was just returning my money and now due to the betrayal i will never again buy another remington product.

I sent Mossberg an e mail telling them my story and how happy i am with my 835 turkey shotgun and they sent me 3 hat pins, decals and a camo hat along with a 2005 catalog & a warm letter thanking me for buying a Mossberg shotgun..

I had to beg remington to send me a box to return my rifle and they were slow at sending me the box then 5 weeks later the shipping decals to send the rifle back before it was shipped all over the usa..

Im not sure but something isn't right with these major gun companies and i think when a company makes their name and gets so big it starts forgetting who really made them the company they are today and thats me and you and so many, The Consumer...
Old 04-16-2005, 11:21 AM

BSTNFREEK - I had similar problems with my 835 (very old model), but found that because it was consistent at hitting the same place with each shot - a scope fixed my problem. Now it hits where I put the crosshairs each and every time.

Despite manufacturers efforts at QC, a barrel will appear that isn't exactly true, but unless it is erratic in patterning with the factory sights, it can usually be corrected by optics (low power scope, red-dot and etc.). I wouldn't give up unless the shotgun pattern couldn't be corrected by a scope. Good luck in his efforts, and good hunting.