Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tips/Info for my first turkey hunt (PA)

Old 04-13-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Tips/Info for my first turkey hunt (PA)

I'm going on my first Turkey hunt here at the end of April with a buddy of mine. He said he can call them into seeing range but he's not good enough to call them close enough to shot them himself, so he was going to set my up a little ways ahead of him to take the shot.

What kind of items/ammo do you guys recommend?
I plan on getting light weight cammo shirt, pants, and a hat with a face mask.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I should get? Also what type of gun and ammo would be best for turkey? I have both a 12 ga shotgun and a 4-10 shotgun(I was thinking with the tight pattern this may be best, but I really have no idea). I also need recomendations on ammo as I think all I have are a few 3" high brass 6 shot left over from rabbit season and some junk shells for the 4-10.

Any tips would be appriciated, thanks!
Old 04-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tips/Info for my first turkey hunt (PA)

use the 12ga. and go buy some turkey loads. while you are buying them get yourself some camo. his idea of him sitting behind you and calling can work great at times so thats a good idea. have fun and good luck to you.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah definately the 12 gauge. Here in Iowa we cant hunt them with anything smaller than a 20 gauge legally. I would get either a full choke or you might want to go with an even tighter choke made specifically for turkeys. Make sure you can hit at least around 10 pellets or more in there head/neck area at 30 yards. Thats the only spot you can hit a turkey to get a kill really. Get some turkey loads. 3" shells would probably be better than 2 3/4, I personally shoot 3.5" shells just for the extended range though. Hope this helps you out and good luck.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm heading out to the hunting market this weekend so i'll be sure to pick up some turkey loads(and maybe head to the range for a few practice shots to check my pattern).

I'm not sure about the choke, i'll have to ask my dad about that. The gun I have is from the late 80's early 90's, I would guess. I've never seen/used a choke but I was under the impression that chokes were only in the newer guns(I know my uncle has a farily new shotgun and the choke can be unscrewed from the tip of the barrel but my gun has nothing like that nor any indication of such a thing).

I don't know to much about turkey hunting, only what i've seen on TV. I can't wait to go though, its soemthing i've always liked watching and have been wanting to try for a long time.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Use the 12 Ga. for sure, that 4-10 will bounce off him, gets some turkey loads, with afull choke.That'll knock him down