Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How does weather effect turkey gobble ?

Old 04-12-2005, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Default How does weather effect turkey gobble ?

I am hunting public land and have seen turkeys.

I had two toms coming in yesterday.

I know they were toms because they were spitting & drumming.

Thay hung up around 75 yrds away.

There was hens there to so I think that is why they hung up.

But in all the toms I have seen not any of them have gobbled.

Soooooo how does the weather effect when Toms gobble ?

Thank You
Old 04-12-2005, 07:51 AM

Default RE: How does weather effect turkey gobble ?

I have actually talked with a wildlife biologist from the NWTF about that same subject. His answer to me was "We really dont know how thw weather plays a part in weither a turkey gobbles good or not". He told me that they have studies going on right now testing this subject & whenever the results are in of course they will be published. I've heard several "know it alls" & "old timers" say it has alot to do with barameteric pressure, some say the temp., some say the humidity. I do not believe anyone really knows how the weather affects gobbling. My personal opinion, which I know doesnt matter very much, from my own personal experiences is that the weather has very little to do with it. I believe it is all in the hormones and the temperment of the bird. Reason I say that is because I've been hunting in all kinds of weather rain, sunny, cloudy, windy, calm, lightening, thundering. All except snow (we dont get much snow in Alabama) & in each of those different weather situations I have sometimes heard birds and sometimes I have not. A quick story, 2 years ago on the last day of the season my stepson & I went in the evening, drizzling rain, lightening, thundering, windy. Most folks would have said we were stupid for going. I picked out the loudest, raspyest mouth call I had & he & I went to a field were I thought some birds were. I glassed the field & approx. 200-250 yards I glassed 2 longbeards standing in the field alone. With it thundering & wind blowing & raining, I yelped as loud as I could. While looking through the bino's (I really didnt believe they would hear me because it was so windy)I saw the birds head shake forward in the way it does when they gobble but I never heard him gobble because of the weather. I turned to my stepson & said "He gobbled @ my call" & when I looked back @ them, both of them were headed straight for us. 2 minutes later we were carring one of them back to the truck (a good 3 year old I might add). Anyway I believe the weather does have some effect on gobbling but I believe it is mostly the personality and temperment of the bird. Again, just my opinion.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Gobblers around here will not gobble in the rain. Well, I shouldn't say that. I just have never heard any gobbling activity in the rain. It can be raining one morning, no gobbles. Then, the next morning it will be clear and gobbling activity is back to normal. But that is just here in Western WA, where the turkey population is somewhere around 50, lol.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never really noticed weather playing much of a role in the gobbling where I hunt. I guess it just depends on the turkeys and not the world around them as much.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:09 PM

Kinda off the weather subject...I've heard that the week of the full moon is a bad week to hunt turkey because they aren't as vocal. Does anyone know anything about this, and if its a proven/true fact?
Old 04-12-2005, 02:23 PM

i have always known turkey to gobble mainly in the spring and early summer then you usually dont hear much out of them the rest of the year. however last year during PA's rifle season in early december i was 100 yards away from 3 gobblers in a tree that just would not shut up. they gobbled probably 50 times and it was about 25 degrees. i was mad because all the deer hunters in the area heard them and will now be invading my turkey hunting area this spring. [:@] in the spring tho, i noticed when its windy they only gobble once or twice if at all. on calm days rain or shine they usually always gobble for me.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

I would have to agree with jhalfhill seems the one element that really affects the gobbling is the wind. Then maybe they are still gobbling we just cant here them through the wind.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

From my experance they don't gobble as much in the wind.
I set up on a oak flat or feild edge call a little as sit a lot .
Stay sharp they will come in quite.

Johnch
Old 04-12-2005, 08:33 PM

I hunt northern wisconsin and in the past i have had thm gobbel in the wind and rain.This weekend it was 530 am and boy they sure were wound up and gobbeling.one week till my season cant wait.