Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

NEED HELP FAST!!!!

Old 04-11-2005, 06:07 PM

Default NEED HELP FAST!!!!

Ok guys this is my 4th year turkey hunting and i have never shot one with a bow so i decided to try it. Well tonight i drove by my spot and BINGO big tom standing in the bean field. I watched this bird for a while and then he flew up to the roost in a little finger of trees. It is supposed to be raining in the morning and im deffinatly going but i was wonder what you guys would do, go really early and get as close to the tree as possible? set up my blind and wait. He was all by himself there was no hens with him or nothing. How would you guys hunt this bird.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:16 PM

Default RE: NEED HELP FAST!!!!

set up near his tree and if there are no hens you will prolly have a good chance calling him in but not so close you could kill him as soon as he hits the ground dont worry bout goin early if your quiet he wont hear you ive gone in and made a racket setting up and there were birds above me so go at the normal time you would usually go
Old 04-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont get to close though as not to spook him but get as close as you can. usually they wont fly away if its pitch black out because they cant see where they are flying. and what i would do is get out there when its still pitch black out so as things can settle down after you get set up.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the help fellas... Any more opinions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh man sounds like you are in good shape. The fact that there were no other birds buy him is a huge plus. I would get up and be set up well before sunlight. Make sure not to get too close to scare him and use no light while setting up at all. Try to get about 70 yards or so away. Setup where you think you are between him and where the other turkeys may be so he will want to go your way. Then I would just do some light calling in the morning. Call as little or often as you feel is best for how he is acting. Good luck. Hope to hear from you in the morning telling us the story of how you got him!!
Old 04-12-2005, 03:57 AM

well it is 4:55 AM im getting ready to head out. I'm a little dissapointed i wake up and the wind is blowing like 20 MPH. Im just going to have to make due, there is not too many days i can hunt being in college.

Thanks again

Deer-hunter18
Old 04-12-2005, 12:42 PM

Set up on this bird about 100 yds from the tree he is roosted in. Get there early, early, early, this allows you movement for decoy placement and will allow some room for a little noise. DO NOT get too close to the tree, he will most likely spot you from where he stands. Once he starts gobbling, let him know you are there but do not over call, continue to conversate with him and once he hits the ground give one or two calls and shut up and wait for him to appear, he will be there in no time at all...
Old 04-12-2005, 02:38 PM

Well, good luck to ya, and hopefully you got em!!!

Another question for you bow hunting guys out there...this is my first year to hunt with my bow, but I don't have a blind...is that a big no-no or has it been done without major mess ups? I have talked to hunters and some of them will not bow hunt without a blind, and they are convinced it can't be done without one, and yet others say that is is very possible, and not that difficult. What do yall say? Thanks for any help!
Old 04-12-2005, 02:42 PM

i dont no nottin bout bow hunting turks but maybe a treestand thats just my opion.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:11 PM

well i didn't get him.. better luck next time

Quick Reply: NEED HELP FAST!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.