Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey with a 22 mag

Old 04-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkey with a 22 mag

It is legal in my state to hunt turkey with a rifle. I do not own a shotgun nor do I currently have the money to get one. I want to take my daughter turkey hunting and we have both a 30-30 and a 22mag. She has used the 30-30 and taken a deer but would prefer to shoot her 22mag where possible.
Has anyone used a 22mag on a turkey? Would it do the job out to 75 yds? If not we may have to use the 30-30. Let me know what you think
Old 04-11-2005, 04:01 PM

Default RE: Turkey with a 22 mag

As for the 22 maqg at 75 yards,, I think turkeys have a little too many feathers for that. I think it wouldnt penetrate the feathers, it might get throught the feathers at 40 yards or less but im still not sure about that, as Ive never shot one with that. I also think the 30-30 might ruin a lot of meat, that is a 30 cal bullet and will bruise and tear a lot of meat up as it goes through. If you cant afford a new gun, do you have any friends who may let you borrow a 223 or 22-250, or even a shotgun? They may be your best bet, but sometimes you have to just use what you have. If thats the only choice, Id go with the 30-30 just to make sure you arent crippling birds and letting them get away. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

DANG 75 yards is a LONG turkey Shot. What state are you in?
Old 04-11-2005, 04:50 PM

I've shot a few with the .22 WMR. First, I never ever shoot past 60 yds. It's just too far IMO. Second, Shoot only for the area where the wing attaches to the body. And, finally use only hollow point or pointed soft point bullets NOT FMJ!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

I shot one this past fall with a .22 hornet, which has a little more power than the mag. It was probably about 75 yards away and it dropped and didnt even flinch. You could definitly do the same with the mag but shot placement is critical. Turkeys are very tough animals. I would probably limit the shots depending on your daughters skill level. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

fatsbucknut: great advice.

.22mag will definitely do the trick. I've three guys shoot turkeys with them and all had great results. But as said above, shot placement is critical.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in WV. W'ell be in a Ground blind and she has a shooting stick for a rest. She practices a lot with her 22lr and 22mag and will have no problem with placement out to 75 with the mag. She's 12 and isn't crazy about the recoil of the 30-30 but when she does shoot it she is accurate. She got her deer with it at 128 yards right behing the shoulder.
I think what I might do is tell her that if she wants to shoot the 30-30 she can go to 100 if she chooses the Mag i'll allow out to 50. This way we should have enough gun either way
Old 04-12-2005, 10:32 AM

DannyD : don't worry bout the 22mag. doing the job out to 75 yards. I hunted with an over and under(22mag.over 20ga.) and that little gun took many many birds.
I have taken gobblers with the 22mag. to 75 yards and over many times.

as far as it not being able to get through the feathers,it will go through the feathers , body , feathers on the other side and into the beyond.

when the bird was facing me the bullet placement was always where the neck meets the body.you take out the neck,and or the backbone.the bird standing sideways it takes the top of the wings and neck.no big meat distruction.JMHO.
"some people will disagree with me on this ; but they are wrong"LOL []
Old 04-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks treeclimber,
I'm looking forward to getting out there with her on the turkey hunt. We were new to deer hunting last year and this will be our first turkey hunt.
For next year I will get the shotgun but for this year the 22 Mag or 30-30 (her choice) will have to do.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought it was illegal to hunt Turkeys with a rifle cartridge? Why do folks use shotguns if they can use a rifle?

Thanks
Tom

Quick Reply: Turkey with a 22 mag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.