Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First Morning Out...

Old 04-11-2005, 09:18 AM

Default First Morning Out...

Today was my first trip of the year spring gobbler hunting and man it was exciting!!! I had a gobbler answer my calling from a national forest access road at first light, after not getting anywhere with that I moved on up where I had a thirty minute encounter with a mad cutting hen who almost ran me over. Then I worked my way back around where I finally got to match wits with a hot longbeard!! I found my self stuck in a dip between two mountian sides with a stream and a thicket between me and the gobbler!! He and his whole harem of hens came along the stream and up the other mountian side until he was just at eye level with me right outside of shotgun range. This dude put on a show like I have never seen!! He was at full strut the whole time and answering every call with double and tripple gobbles. I watched him for what seemed like forever, then finally he sensed something he just didnt like and got outta dodge. Hopefully next time I can find a way around the other side of the thicket and get setup up before he gets in sight. Man I love this sport!!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Morning Out...

Sounds like you had a blast. I cant wait to get out on friday!! You guys are getting me fired up with these stories. Good luck on getting him man!!