Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tested some HV #6's

Old 04-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tested some HV #6's

I did some patterning this week end with the new Win extended reange #5's. all I can say was WOW!!!!! I thought I was going to be using the Fed HV HW shells but the new Win blew them out of the water!!!!. Anyhow I wanted to do a little test with the Win Hv #6's just to see how well they did against the #5's and the new Fed and Win HW loads. I took a few pieces of 1/4" plywood and set them out at 40 yards with turkey targets on them. The first one I shot was with the Win HV #6's. 80% of the shot was flush in the plywood with about 10% buried in the wood out of sight and about 10% came threw...

Second shot was with the Win HV#5's I'd say about 50% came threw and the other half was buried out of sight...

Third was the Fed HW HV #5's. They all came threw with out a doubt!!!!!

Fourth was the Win Extended Range #5's. I'd say 95-98% went threw but I did find 1 pellet stuck in the wood flush. Did dig it out to llok at it and it was perfectly round and looked just like thet showed it on there web sight. Also they patterned the best out of all the shells I've patterned over the years. I was averaging 16 pellets in the vitals(brain/neck vertebra) every shot!!! I was very pleased with this pattern from a 20" barrel
Old 04-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tested some HV #6's

Thats been my experience also with the Hevi-Shot, I have never shot the Fed. and Win. HW but the Nitro will blow the lead shot away when comparing the penetration and pattern density. I know they are pricey but what the heck its turkey hunting and I feel the turkey deserves the best.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea I don't mind spending money on turkey ammo. I want the best ammo that is available!!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:56 AM

I havent shot the new Win and Fed ammo yet but I'd like to. My Rem hevi-shot is doing pretty good. With my benelli 26" barrel, stock full choke, hevi 3 1/2" #5's I put 15 pellets in the head and neck @ 50 yards. With my browing gold 24" barrel, .680 gobbling thunder choke, hevi 3" #6's my step son put 16 pellets in the head and neck @ 50 yards. I thought both were pretty good but I still want to try the new ammo just to see how it does. We were using the primos turkey head targets.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:55 PM

i am with strut.i have used the hevishot #4s since they came out and thought there was nothing better.i bought some of the nitro 4x5x7s and although they cost me $4.99 each,they are unbelievable.i don't worry much about bigboy getting hung up out there anymore.