Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I GOT A SPOT

Old 04-08-2005, 07:42 AM

Default I GOT A SPOT

Well i never thought it would happen but i was driving down the road the other day and saw 15 turkeys in this guys field. I took out the binocs and saw 3 toms 2 jakes and the rest looked like hens but they were about 500 yds away so who know. Anyway i went to the guys door and asked if you let anyone turkey hunt on his property, he said no. So i said well is there any chance i could hunt here this year. He thought about it for a little bit and said YES. OMG i am pumped i dont have to hunt public land.

GO TEAM 1
Old 04-08-2005, 12:48 PM

Default RE: I GOT A SPOT

congrats on the new spot!!ive always hunted my own/private property and i really dont have to worry where other hunters are(although some ppl will hunt any where regardless,pisses me off)i dont think i would like the public land thing for many reasons but anyways congrats on the spot and good luck.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:18 PM

Just remember the important stuff when hunting other peoples land...

Offer to share your game with them(most of the time they will say no).

clean up after yourself and clean up messes you didnt make(or they will get blamed on you)

Offer to reduce populations of unwanted species, farmers hate Turkey, coyotee, deer, geese, all the stuff we love, plus you get to hunt!! These animals can cause massive crop and herd damage.

tell them how your doing hunting. If they see you out there 10 times, most people will assume you got 10 birds, very few non-hunters figure that once ion a while you might get skunked.

Dont over-harvest, you want this spot to hunt for years to come!!

And a little appreaciation in the form of a thank you never hurts!!

Congrats on your find!!
Old 04-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't invite anyone else to go with you without asking, and don't even ask until you do work for the guy and hunt there for a while to let him know you appreciate it and are responsible to take care of his property without disturbing him or being in his way, etc. The worst thing you can do next to littering or rutting up his fields with tire tracks in the mud is invite a friend with you when only you were given permission to hunt.

Congratulations!
Old 04-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't take anybody else for the first year or two until I get to know the land owner. The more people hunting the more chances of loosing permision
Old 04-09-2005, 06:58 PM

It is way way better you guys arnt going to believe this but where i deer hunt with a bow i always see like 100 turkeys but the landowner wont let me hunt it for turkeys because he likes to hunt turkeys well i was out golfing today and the land boarders the golf course and i heard like 10 gobblers all morning gobbling in different areas so i called him and asked and he said YES. Oh my god you guys wouldnt believe it i was running around the house yelling, my mom thought i was a little wierd
Old 04-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know the feeling Deer-Hunter18,

Saturday I took a ride to my favorite turkey hunting area - and while I've already locked down a few farms to hunt, I also scouted a few new farms that have a turkey problem that I'd like to help contain, so to speak.

So, I shot the bull with a few farmers and just like that, I have three new hunting spots.

Finding a place to hunt isn't very hard if you're nice and treat the landowners with respect. I can't wait to try my luck at the new spots.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on getting what sounds like a good spot to hunt.