Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Calling question

Old 04-06-2005, 07:18 AM

Default Calling question

If I go into the woods before light and dont exactly know where the birs are can I crow call, owl call before it gets light and get a response? Any help is appreciated since I open Sat. morning
Old 04-06-2005, 07:24 AM

Default RE: Calling question

best thing to do is to go the night before and find out where they roost then set up as close as possible. If I went out and didnt know where they were i would hit my owl call from dark till about 30 minutes after sunrise. after that i would not use the owl till 30 minutes or so before sunset. Inbetween id use a crow call....but i dont seem to have much luck with the crow.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:41 AM

I agree ridge runner...i dont like to call them while they are still in the tree, but my buddy an i had some success once doing it this way:
we tree yelped to him until he flew down. after he flew down we used our wing to simulate the hen flying down. yelped then purred and purred and purred then started purring softer so he thought the hen was leaving....he came right in and made for a great supper.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:15 PM

In this situation, you can do what's called a tree yelp, which is an extremely soft version of a yelp that hens do just before flying down. It tells the tom you're there and may give you that edge of having him come right to you off the roost.

Your best bet, like somebody already said, is to catch them the night before going to roost, set up close, and then do the tree yelp. This, I believe, is dynamite.
-MIKE