Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Question

Old 04-05-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Question

ive been hunting a spot that there were 4 real big toms they all have been staying together i shot one of them the other morning and the other 3 were with him what is the chances of the other birds working for me this weekend
Old 04-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question

What have you got to lose? I'd go right after them. Turkey's have VERY short term memory.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say you dont have to worry much. Last year my dad and I had been working 3 birds, I finally got them in range and my dad hit one with an arrow. I took off out of the blind chasing it after it started flying and found it shortly after, this was on a friday morning. Two days later, on sunday, we went to the same spot and set the same exact setup up only 30 yards from the previous spot (This is a pretty open field) and I was able to get the other two back in and I shot one more. We did make a point to leave that spot alone friday afternoon and evening and all day saturday though. There is a chance they may be a little spooky but the bird I shot was at least 4 years old and he still came to that spot again. Good luck on getting another!!
Old 04-05-2005, 04:23 PM

If you want to be certain the other three don't remember the demise of their former fellow tom and stay away from the area where you harvested #4, use a different call, different decoy setup, and locate slightly differently in the area. As HomerJ notes, turkeys actually have a very short memory. In the fall, they'll forget they were just busted up by a hunter in less than an hour, so I think a few days' would likely completely erase the memory of seeing their fellow flockmate getting blown away!!

Good luck!!
Old 04-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta love Iowa
Old 04-06-2005, 03:26 PM

thanks for the help