Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

KS turkey status

Old 04-04-2005, 09:15 PM

Default KS turkey status

I plan to hunt Kansas for the first time this year. I was wondering if there were any KS turkey hunters out there. How are the birds behaving right now? Gobbling much, henned up? Just trying to see what things are like right now.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2005, 07:33 AM

Default RE: KS turkey status

No ks turkey hunters out there?
Old 04-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was out a couple weeks ago, shed antler hunting. I walked up to a group of turkeys on my hunting land. They were all still in one group, but there were about a dozen birds strutting and gobbling. They were all in the hardwoods timber so I got about 80-100 yards from them before the saw me. But yeah, with the weather it's been in the past week, i'm sure they'll be rocking pretty good come season opener next week. Good luck. What part of Ks are you from?
Old 04-06-2005, 01:13 PM

Early to tell yet since season doesn't start till next week but one thing is for sure. There are too many birds which I LOVE. Right now at my place we have three differnet groups of turkeys which consist of at least 70 birds or more. I have been scouting and they are gobbling real nice. Last year they were henned up early but hopefully not this year.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:38 PM

I live in soutern KS, and was out last Sat. This is my first season so I don't know much, but i saw a bunch. I also learned to be more paitent. There was a whole bunch of gobblen going on. I was even able to call in a lone tom late afternoon. Him and I called back and forth for a while and I thought he would never come in. There was another caller in the woods about 120yds away and I wasn't sure he was anwering me. So I stopped calling and at my sammit, I was hungry. In the mean time he circled me and when I had finnished eat'n, and I called for him again, and he gobbled about 35yds behind me. Whew, what a feeling! My first successfull call, Woo Hoo!

Sorry for the rambling, just wanted to tell someone.

kennyt
Old 04-06-2005, 08:50 PM

I drove from KC to Manhattan to Marysville, across to 75 highway and back to Topeka today

LOTS of birds, Gobblers still in bunches, saw one streuuter with about 20 hens...otherwise hens look to have just started to scatter and that menas the gobblers will soon too
Old 04-06-2005, 10:18 PM

Right now, i'm scouting turkey on some land up north and i've seen a few and heard some gobble on public land. As of now everywhere i go i have seen hundreds during december deer season. Just a matter of finding them. They have been responding fairly well to a crow call for a shock gobble. Cant wait until Wed.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:43 PM

Well good news fellow Kansas Hunters, I just recently went out to scout and called in Four boss toms. I am from south central Kansas and we are stacked with birds. There are so many birds that they are actually being hit on Highways 50. Looks like a good year this year. Good luck to all.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the input guys, I'll be coming up from AR on Tuesday to get ready for opening day. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. I will be hunting public land in southeast KS. Maybe I can find a few landowners that will give me permission to hunt, but I'm not counting on that. AR opens tomorrow, but birds in my area are really pressured, so not expecting a lot of luck.