Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Got My second bird and another for Team 1.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default Got My second bird and another for Team 1.

3 April 2005,

Got my second bird this morning at 7:30 a.m.

The story: Yesterday I heard two birds fly down, wasn't able to turn them and they never gobbled. Had a feeling that they was gobblers but never saw them, they didn't come near me because I was siting next to flood water and a field. Assume they went up the hill and across property line.

This morning I went back to same spot and listened. At 6:50 a.m both of them gobbled and you could tell one was younger. They was up the hill mentioned in first paragraph. I took off, following an old fence line and set up my blind in the edge of planted pines on our property. They kept gobbling and flew down at 7:15 and sounded like they was going away from me. I was using an Ole yellar slate and a box call, they sounded as though they was gonna keep going away. I thought, nothing from nothing, leaves nothing, so I got out my mouth call and started calling. I'd use one call and the other with the mouth call. Fifteen minutes later, I saw one thru the brush on the other property, he came to a gap in the old fence, I touched the slate and he made a left turn straight towards me and crossed onto our property.

I wanted to wait and see what the second bird looked like, but this bird was closing fast and I couldn't wait. I shot him and then I saw the other bird runing away thru the brush. Couldn't tell if I got the largest one or not. The other one will be there for another day. It was fifteen steps to the bird I shot, he never floped at all.

Now if someone can help me, I can't score this one, my brain must be on hold today. Can someone please score this bird for me. If so, please reply to this post and I will edit my post.

weight: 18.0 lbs., beard: 10 7/8", left spur: 7/8", right spur: 13/16"

I can't convert the spur lengths.

I only had a polaroid to take photos' and they are terrible, took some with a 35 mm and will post them when I get them. I sent the picks to JW, Jw can you post these for me.

Here are the fiqures: 18.0 + 8.75 + 8.125 + 21.74 = 57.735

Thanks,
dog1
Old 04-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got My second bird and another for Team 1.

congrats, i hope your turkey luck rubs off on me........lol......cant wait for the pics
Old 04-03-2005, 06:37 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Atta boy dog1

Turkey's Weight: 18 lbs. 0 oz.
(Use the table below to convert 1/16th of an inch into decmal for the entries below.)
Spur length Right: 0.875 in. 0.8125 Left: in.
Beard length in.10.875

Your score is 18 + 8.75 + 8.125 + 21.75 = 56.625

JW
Old 04-03-2005, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

JW,

Thanks JW. Not only am I a computer dummy, but obviously a math dummy to. Couldn't for the life of me figure out how to convert the spur lengths.

By the way, did you get the wing bones I sent you. I boiled the ones I got today, will clean them up and get them in the mail.

Again, Thanks.
dog1
Old 04-04-2005, 01:31 PM

Way to Go Dog1

My season starts in 9 days.

Off to buy some calls and stuff, not to mention my license.

Cant wait.

Good luck to the rest of team 1!!
Old 04-04-2005, 02:57 PM

OMG you have got me goin now... Team 1 needs to win this one but im not so sure i will be of any help. I am going after them with a bow this year and i cant get permission to hunt anywhere. my season starts april 11 and i dont have a place to hunt. NOT GOOD.

GOOD LUCK TEAM 1

Deer-hunter18
Old 04-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

You are like me gotta hunt public land.

Theres more hunters during deer season than skeeters.

Good Luck.

I hope we win.

I will try my best.