Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Will a tom cross a river?

Old 04-03-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Will a tom cross a river?

Saturday was opening day for my county, I was out early. I was hunting on about 30 acres of woods with a river thats 30 yards wide as the property line on one side. Well guess where the gobblers were. On the other side of the river. They were back off in the woods on the other side of the river and I was calling and one was responding. In about 30 minutes of calling he kept getting closer and closer. It sounded like he was in the woods just on the other side of the river. His gobbles sounded like he was walking up and down the river trying to get to me. After about 20 minutes of that his gobbles got softer and softer as he left the area. I know he was a responding to my call and coming for me. Would a tom ever cross a river like that to get to me? Was he just a lazy bird?
Old 04-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Will a tom cross a river?

id saypossibly i had on cross the river but wouldnt come up the bank to get a shot but i dont thnk they like 2
Old 04-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Lorge,

Yes, they will cross a river, but not when I want them to.

Dog1
Old 04-03-2005, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Yes they will. I called five gobblers across a river in NC last year spring. Then when they got within range my partner and I argued over who wsa going to shoot. We were both telling each other to shoot whit them strutting 25 yards from us. We ended up just watching them walk away.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

You bet they will...I've called more bird's across a river than I can remember....Fact it's one of my favorite spot's.. If the book say's they can't or won't....then trust me...they can,...and will..!!!!
Old 04-03-2005, 08:11 PM

In my experience, I think it matters what mood hes in and how hot he is. Id say Ive had more hang up and pace up and down the other side than actually cross. Ive had them do the same thing with only a creek about 15 feet across, they just didnt want to cross it. Ive also had them fly acroos a river or fly form one ridge to another to get to my calls. Ive also had them fly form one ridge to another to get away form my calls toolol
Old 04-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience, I think it matters what mood hes in and how hot he is.
I think thats a very important factor in whether or not he will cross the river or not. but most occasions he probly will.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

they can be called across water-for years i hunted a lease where the turkeys roosted across a slough that was lease line between 2 camps. couldn't get hunting rights on other lease, so i would set up on our side and call them over. got several to cross-just took time and good calling! learned a lot about calling in the process
Old 04-04-2005, 10:00 AM

Wow, that gives me some confidence. I figured I might as well call it a season. I gotta get back out there and call me one in. Thanks yall.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dog1

Lorge,

Yes, they will cross a river, but not when I want them to.

Dog1
I'll second that.....

Quick Reply: Will a tom cross a river?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.